[OFFER] Hexen 2 Beta (0.23)

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
jagotu

[OFFER] Hexen 2 Beta (0.23)

Post by jagotu »

Hey, I found this in my collection and it seems it's not publicly avaliable atm, so I thought I'd share!

Apparently (thanks einstein95 for pointing this out) this is probably another case of Russian pirates, at least from what can be gathered from this 1997 newsgroup post. Apparently it was stolen from E3?
It seems it contains some fixes from "NipKick", but that's the way I got it. Enjoy!

https://mega.co.nz/#!78w0TSLQ!4Sq9M6zWA ... J8IMRVS620
Windows TEN - Totally Erroneous Numbering
Always watching you...

damaged

Re: [OFFER] Hexen 2 Beta (0.23)

Post by damaged »

Thank you very much.

If I am not mistaken, this IS the long lost E3 beta. I do remember a map named E3-something but it was likely renamed. All the levels from the early game magazine screenshots are in this build. Wow. Not sure what to say. The last time I had this was way back in 1997 I think. Even the levels from the Next Generation movies are in this build.

This is exactly why people should share their goodies. Had you not shared this, it would have likely remained lost.

To get this to run, go the DATA1\MODELS directory and rename VINDIC~~ whatever to VINDICTUS.MDL. Also, append a single '_' to the opengl32.dll so that it looks like : "opengl32.dll_". Do the same for the glide library. You should be able to run the game in software and OpenGL.

I would get teary eyed but I'm exhausted :mrgreen:

jagotu

Post by jagotu »

I am glad you like it damaged. It was just laying on my harddrive in the betas folder, but because I was never into game betas I never thought it was something rare. After a short talk with einstein95 on tcrf it turned out that this is, indeed, lost, and so I just uploaded it :) Well, I guess I'll upload it to BA FTP then ;)
Always watching you...

damaged

Post by damaged »

I saw something interesting. I was playing start.bsp and completed all the puzzles. Grinded the bones and went back to that gold lava pool. When you try to go through the door (typically a level exit) a message appears. I only saw a glimpse of it so I browsed though the bsp file.

{
"model" "*93"
"classname" "trigger_once"
"message" "Thats it, Have fun at E3!...Raven"
}

Now we know this is the E3 1997 build. Raven had yet to fully remove all the Quake elements from the engine. There are very early screenshots of Hexen2 levels with Quake weapons. The engine was using the Hexen2 palette so the weapons looked screwy.

This was probably about as rare as the Unreal November 1995 build. Originally, it was distributed as a multi-part ARJ archive. I grabbed it off some Geocities webpage I think. It was corrupt so I never ever got to run this build. Not once.

jagotu

Post by jagotu »

If you take a look inside the "fix" batch, you'll notice what happened to the e3final.bsp map...

Code: Select all

ren data1\maps\e3final.bsp start.bsp
Somebody probably ran the fix before releasing it...

Another interesting thing I noticed (with my limited knowledge) are the DONE.TXT and TODO.TXT in DATA1\SOUND\, which list which sounds they have did and have yet to do :)

Code: Select all

sound: player/lavabrn1.wav 
 sound: player/lavabrn2.wav 
  date: 5/27/97
    by: Bob

Played being hurt in lava. Screaming and such.  You know, we've all had that happen.
Always watching you...

LEOTCK
Permanently Banned

Post by LEOTCK »

Sorry for bumping this. Since I played through the "shareware" version and the regular version and found the game disappointing in many ways, I decided to try this beta again and play properly through it and try all the maps. I also found this beta elsewhere independently with more orig archives, but nonetheless this is very curious.

The hub system causes crashes obviously...

BUT....I like the levels more and other things in this beta. You could set things on fire just like in original hexen, even though this was still more of a quake mod, but it was damn good mod. There are less of those ridiculous teleporters and what not. Not just that, in the meso levels there is a very good level that was cut completely, called "Abandoned Observatory" which features some really good caves with stalactites and underground rivers! It's really amazing to see that for me. Why did Raven have to [censored] the release game so much? If this was debugged and finished more it would be great game. But I am disappointed in the release game which was too convoluted with all its puzzles and bugs even after last patch...then again with raven games last patch is often broken in many ways...
my main project, pls read latest news

https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-psx-r ... e-of-jrath

T02my

Post by T02my »

Just to post video about what damaged talking about. HEXEN II screenshoots with Quake weapons in this interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNS6Szdi3wU

P.S. Even more interesting stuff, screenshoots, videos and link are located on Russian fan-site http://hexen-game.ru/forum/31-778-1 (btw, I dont try to advertise it. The site is not mine and its diyeng)