Changing Windows 8 Startup Sound

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
Greasy

Changing Windows 8 Startup Sound

Post by Greasy »

Hi guys,

Can someone tell me if this guide is correct?

If is correct, what exactly this

Code: Select all

Boot any linux live CD such as Ubuntu.
You can find tons of tutorial to boot live cd on Google.

Browse to C:windows\system32 and replace the original imageres.dll with the modified one.

If you are using Windows 8 x64 edition, you need to repeat the same operations on imageres.dll file at  C:Windows\SysWOW64
means?

Thank you.
Regards

after64k

Re: Changing Windows 8 Startup Sound

Post by after64k »

The guide looked okay, from the quick glance of it I did. There's not really much I can clarify with that.

Now, as for what you're asking from what you quoted here: the other part you're seeing is that you will need to replace the file in either C:\Windows\system32 or C:\Windows\SysWOW64 to complete the change. But there's a problem with that. Windows is usually installed by default on C:, but may not always be C:, and also, Gnu/Linux is a *nix-like system that identifies hard disks by /dev/sda, /dev/hda, etc. and their partitions are listed by number. So, for instance, /dev/sda3 may be the Windows partition on a modern EFI disk, where the System and EFI partitions come first. This is important because Ubuntu is a Gnu/Linux distribution.

And also, you will need to download Ubuntu. You can do that from ubuntu.com, and find the Download page. From there, download either a 32-bit or 64-bit ISO. Now, if you bought an AMD or Intel-based Windows 8 PC, you most likely have a 64-bit computer (in this case, you will need the amd64 version, because you probably also need the Secure Boot support only in the amd64 ISO). Once you have this ISO, attach a DVD burner, find a blank DVD writable, then right-click your downloaded Ubuntu ISO. From here, click "Burn to disc..." then Burn again. Reboot your computer using your new Ubuntu DVD.

Now, finally, if I may say one last thing, supposing that you follow the instructions in the article for editing your system file properly, and mine here for Ubuntu, then please back up your original copy. Even the article you linked to mentions to do this "at your own risk" and I would say the same thing.

So... in conclusion, be CAREFUL. If you want a cool sound to play over the embedded system startup sound, I would just uncheck the startup sound option in the sounds control panel, then just put a batch script in your Startup folder that plays your file, but it's not a very wise idea to mess with a system file unless you have to.

Good luck. :-)

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Actually, you can take ownership of the imageres.dll file (there are tons of tutorials on Google), and then replace it normally from Windows. ;)
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

after64k

Post by after64k »

I'm not sure if 8 allows file replacement that easily, though... but I don't know... I've never tested doing this with 8. I do know that on XP it was possible. To me, the easiest way to fix this would be to use a live DVD with another system on it. But I'm more knowledgable of a *nix-like environment than the 6.x generation of Windows, so I'm probably wrong and humbly admit it if I am wrong.

:-)

MegaDragon998
Donator

Post by MegaDragon998 »

after64k wrote:I'm not sure if 8 allows file replacement that easily, though... but I don't know... I've never tested doing this with 8. I do know that on XP it was possible. To me, the easiest way to fix this would be to use a live DVD with another system on it. But I'm more knowledgable of a *nix-like environment than the 6.x generation of Windows, so I'm probably wrong and humbly admit it if I am wrong.

:-)
It does allow file replacements if you use Take Ownership as AlphaBeta said. Heres the link.

after64k

Post by after64k »

I do accept I'm wrong on this and learned something new; thanks for letting me + everyone else know about taking ownership of Windows files. :-)

Greasy

Post by Greasy »

after64k wrote:The guide looked okay, from the quick glance of it I did. There's not really much I can clarify with that.

Now, as for what you're asking from what you quoted here: the other part you're seeing is that you will need to replace the file in either C:\Windows\system32 or C:\Windows\SysWOW64 to complete the change. But there's a problem with that. Windows is usually installed by default on C:, but may not always be C:, and also, Gnu/Linux is a *nix-like system that identifies hard disks by /dev/sda, /dev/hda, etc. and their partitions are listed by number. So, for instance, /dev/sda3 may be the Windows partition on a modern EFI disk, where the System and EFI partitions come first. This is important because Ubuntu is a Gnu/Linux distribution.

And also, you will need to download Ubuntu. You can do that from ubuntu.com, and find the Download page. From there, download either a 32-bit or 64-bit ISO. Now, if you bought an AMD or Intel-based Windows 8 PC, you most likely have a 64-bit computer (in this case, you will need the amd64 version, because you probably also need the Secure Boot support only in the amd64 ISO). Once you have this ISO, attach a DVD burner, find a blank DVD writable, then right-click your downloaded Ubuntu ISO. From here, click "Burn to disc..." then Burn again. Reboot your computer using your new Ubuntu DVD.

Now, finally, if I may say one last thing, supposing that you follow the instructions in the article for editing your system file properly, and mine here for Ubuntu, then please back up your original copy. Even the article you linked to mentions to do this "at your own risk" and I would say the same thing.

So... in conclusion, be CAREFUL. If you want a cool sound to play over the embedded system startup sound, I would just uncheck the startup sound option in the sounds control panel, then just put a batch script in your Startup folder that plays your file, but it's not a very wise idea to mess with a system file unless you have to.

Good luck. :-)
Many thanks for your answer it helped me a lot for what I'm going to do next!
In fact, I'll just do what you suggested: uncheck the option and leave it away. :mrgreen:
I'm not ready for this kind of thing... yet.

Thanks a lot y'all!

Edit1:Didn't read the whole thread. |-)
AlphaBeta wrote:Actually, you can take ownership of the imageres.dll file (there are tons of tutorials on Google), and then replace it normally from Windows. ;)
Are you saying that all I have to do after the "Take Ownership" is basically overwrite with the new one "imageres.dll"?Easy- breezy?

MegaDragon998
Donator

Post by MegaDragon998 »

Greasy wrote:Are you saying that all I have to do after the "Take Ownership" is basically overwrite with the new one "imageres.dll"?Easy- breezy?
Yup :D Easy as that.