Add ReFS FileSystem to Windows 8 RTM (Client) [64-bit!]

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
maxtorix
Donator

Add ReFS FileSystem to Windows 8 RTM (Client) [64-bit!]

Post by maxtorix »

With this MOD you can extend Windows 8 client support to format your drives or partitions in new filesystem ReFS.
*Оfficially ReFS is available only for Windows Server 2012.
*This MOD is intended only for 64-bit flavors of Windows 8.

There are two versions of the files - for build 8250 (Consumer Preview [CP]) and for build 8400 (Release Preview [RP])

Download
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:
ReFS (Resilient File System) for Windows 8 RTM!

Originally made: by Wiwi-maX

Download ReFS for RTM

1.) Copy uReFS.dll to C:\Windows\System32\uReFS.dll
2.) Copy refs.sys to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\refs.sys
3.) Import (double-click) the attached registry file ReFS.reg
4.) Restart your computer
Last edited by maxtorix on Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
(li) Every box with any belongings in it is just Isus's theft from ŽL. :evil:

mycomputerhelp

Re: Add ReFS FileSystem to Windows 8 CP/RP (Clients) [64-bit

Post by mycomputerhelp »

Is there a 32bit version? I only run WIn8 on my Core 2 Duo laptop.

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

ReFS is 64-bit only so it won't work on 32-bit versions of Windows 8 (it ships with Server 2012 which is 64-bit only)

WINSCHOOL235

Post by WINSCHOOL235 »

What are the features of ReFS? What is so good about it.. does it have faster loading times? does it impact on preformance?

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

WINSCHOOL235 wrote:What are the features of ReFS? What is so good about it.. does it have faster loading times? does it impact on preformance?
At the moment, NTFS is the better-featured file system, though this seems likely to change in the future.

For the time being, the main advantage ReFS has is that it should be more reliable. This is why it's aimed at servers at the moment - where reliability and data integrity is key.

CaptainPeanut
Donator

Post by CaptainPeanut »

mycomputerhelp wrote:Is there a 32bit version? I only run WIn8 on my Core 2 Duo laptop.
IIRC, Core 2 Duos are 64-bit compatible.

compgeke
Donator

Post by compgeke »

All Core 2 processors are 64-bit.

msftwizard

Post by msftwizard »

thx... should supply me with the ability to have a better performing system, going to install this on my computer and get rid of ntfs once and forever!!
i have done bad things in my past but will do better things in the future. sorry to andy, mrpijee, linuxlover, and hounshell for the things i have done. i repent my sins to be a better man, a better husband, and a better father.

prayaas1998

Post by prayaas1998 »

Well basically, ReFS is almost NTFS.
:)

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

prayaas1998 wrote:Well basically, ReFS is almost NTFS.
They are competely different. At the highest-levels, their APIs are shared, but this is purely so NTFS tools can continue to work with ReFS. Underneath, they share no structural similarities.

ReFS is not going to bring better performance at this stage. At best, you can hope it'll be similar. It is primarily focused on reliability and data integrity at the moment, which is why it's only included in Server at this stage. This'll no doubt change in the future, but for most use cases, NTFS is still recommended. ReFS is really only for long-term, multi-terabyte storage, particularly in conjunction with Storage Pools in Windows Server 2012.

smartboyhw

Post by smartboyhw »

Yeah, the mod was by Marcin Grygiel who is at WinUnleaked. Good that someone bought it here.
Windows ME: Crap! Windows XP: Awesome! Windows Vista: Crap! Windows 7: Awesome! Windows 8: (Crap!) (c) 2012 smartboyhw
My Blog
Windows ISO's Forum Administrator

maxtorix
Donator

Post by maxtorix »

smartboyhw wrote:Yeah, the mod was by Marcin Grygiel who is at WinUnleaked. Good that someone bought it here.
I've to fix the mod because files for build 8400 was broken especially the included registry file, so with the original mod, in build 8250 everything was fine, but in 8400 after restarting you get nothing.

soulman
Donator

Post by soulman »

maxtorix wrote:With this MOD you can extend Windows 8 client support to format your drives or partitions in new filesystem ReFS.

*snip*
There are two versions of the files - for build 8250 (Consumer Preview [CP]) and for build 8400 (Release Preview [RP])
Download
If it's the case it came from WinUnleaked, why did you not credit the person who came up with this hackfix? Even if it is the most simplest of hacks (and the most obvious too), you could credit the guy who came up with it.
msftwizard wrote:thx... should supply me with the ability to have a better performing system, going to install this on my computer and get rid of ntfs once and forever!!
I don't think you grasp the concept of ReFS. It's geared towards reliability rather than performance. As hounsell explained before I did, it's a solution for the server market to have a reliable filesystem to store terabytes upon terabytes of data. I.E, this is not an NTFS replacement. It's an enterprise solution to enhance data reliability. It does not concern performance nor does it really need to, seeing as enterprises usually run in large RAID arrays. This doesn't make up for the performance difference, but reliability is the key here. While it's fun to test and all, it's not an NTFS replacement at the end of the day. At least not until they've mastered data reliability and integrity.

maxtorix
Donator

Post by maxtorix »

soulman wrote:
maxtorix wrote:With this MOD you can extend Windows 8 client support to format your drives or partitions in new filesystem ReFS.

*snip*
Download
If it's the case it came from WinUnleaked, why did you not credit the person who came up with this hackfix? Even if it is the most simplest of hacks (and the most obvious too), you could credit the guy who came up with it.
I found the hack on some forum but there wasn't signed by anyone, and hack for build 8400 was broken, so I've fixed it.
Basically speaking, I do not have to know who was the author, so I didn't mention him.

soulman
Donator

Post by soulman »

Offtopic Comment
Then at least explain and acknowledge it was somebody else's work. It's the polite thing to do.

maxtorix
Donator

Re: Add ReFS FileSystem to Windows 8 RTM (Client) [64-bit!]

Post by maxtorix »

ReFS File System for Windows 8 RTM Client added to main post!

mikaoj

Post by mikaoj »

soulman wrote: If it's the case it came from WinUnleaked, why did you not credit the person who came up with this hackfix? Even if it is the most simplest of hacks (and the most obvious too), you could credit the guy who came up with it.
I think that guy too forgot to mention where he ripped the information from. This stuff has been public since April; http://reboot.pro/15466/#entry152971