Windows 8 Beta - Audio pops & clicks

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
linuxlove
Donator

Windows 8 Beta - Audio pops & clicks

Post by linuxlove »

I've noticed that in any program that plays audio (Music, Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player, a web browser), there are occasional pops, clicks and stutters in the audio similar to what you'd get on vinyl records.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? Obviously, it's a beta and not perfect; I understand that. If it helps, my main desktop's audio device is the Realtek HD Audio. Yes, I have tried updating my drivers (didn't help) and running Windows Update (also didn't help).
Goodbye.

STKD

Re: Windows 8 Beta - Audio pops & clicks

Post by STKD »

Noticed this on my netbook yesterday too. Also on Realtek HD, with no change with different drivers.

Dusterdoo

Post by Dusterdoo »

Realtek HD Audio card in my laptop aswell, noticed the same thing..

Chris1244

Post by Chris1244 »

Have you checked in Windows Update for an update for the RelTek Driver or you can download and install the software appropriate for you hardware at: http://www.realtek.com/products/
TheTutorial

linuxlove
Donator

Post by linuxlove »

Chris1244 wrote:Have you checked in Windows Update for an update for the RelTek Driver or you can download and install the software appropriate for you hardware at: http://www.realtek.com/products/
linuxlove wrote:Yes, I have tried updating my drivers (didn't help) and running Windows Update (also didn't help).
Goodbye.

Pwned
Donator

Post by Pwned »

What about reinstalling the drivers to the one from 8102 or http://www.realtek.com/downloads/

annihilator

Post by annihilator »

i also have Realtek HD Audio, i don't have any clicks etc in the audio...

P.S. i didn't install any audio drivers

Never have I felt so close to another soul and yet so helplessly alone
As when I Google an error and there's one result
A thread by someone with the same problem and no answer
Last posted to in 2003...

Derf
Donator

Post by Derf »

Noticed this on my MacBook Pro as well. Audio also seems to sound "tinnier" than it does on Windows 7 or OS X.

Spider-Vice
Donator

Post by Spider-Vice »

No, this is due to DPC, a processor instruction that Windows has. If you use the DPC Latency Checker on any Windows 8 build, you'll see that the average latency is extremely high and sometimes even spikes, which causes that. It's a driver or hardware thing, Microsoft still has some things to fix. It happens since the earliest leaked build.

zamadatix
Donator

Post by zamadatix »

Spider-Vice wrote:No, this is due to DPC, a processor instruction that Windows has. If you use the DPC Latency Checker on any Windows 8 build, you'll see that the average latency is extremely high and sometimes even spikes, which causes that. It's a driver or hardware thing, Microsoft still has some things to fix. It happens since the earliest leaked build.
I don't know what is considered extremely high but with an xonar audio card I have no problems and the dpc time stays between 1000 and 1005. Perhaps it is the realtek drivers causing both the popping and the dpc delays for some people

linuxlove
Donator

Post by linuxlove »

Thing is, I had no such issues in Windows 7 using the stock Windows drivers or the ones Realtek provides.
Goodbye.