Tandy 1400 LT or FD OS Floppy Images

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
killbuddy

Tandy 1400 LT or FD OS Floppy Images

Post by killbuddy »

Looking for floppy images for the Tandy 1400 LT or FD computer. I picked one up at a Goodwill shop and it did not come with any of the media. It powers up and checks out all of the memory just fine, but have had not luck trying to boot into any of the DOS versions I have found. I have spent all day trying to find something that will work with this with no luck. This computer has the 720 KB floppy disk drives.

Thanks

compgeke
Donator

Re: Tandy 1400 LT or FD OS Floppy Images

Post by compgeke »

The 1st thing I would do is find a 1.44 meg floppy drive for it. Based on pics I can find it takes regular PC floppy drives. There is also the possibility that the drive in it is defective.
Offtopic Comment
I wish I found an old laptop like that...

killbuddy

Post by killbuddy »

The drive on it does work. I know because I made a 720 KB formatted disk from a Windows 95 installation and copied the system files, the check box in the Windows 95 format dialog window. After I power on the Tandy, it does try and boot from the disk I made, but gives me an error that the version it is trying to load requires a 386 cpu. The Tandy 1400 only had an 8088 equivalent.

Coffeepad

Post by Coffeepad »

Which versions of DOS have you tried so far? Iirc an 8088 works with DOS 3.3 and lower, something along those lines

linuxlove
Donator

Post by linuxlove »

Coffeepad wrote:Which versions of DOS have you tried so far? Iirc an 8088 works with DOS 3.3 and lower, something along those lines
An 8088-based PC will run just about any version of MS-DOS out there. The problem could be corrupt media... Are you using 1.44MB floppy disks with the HD hole taped over?
Goodbye.

killbuddy

Post by killbuddy »

I believe it was dos 3.21. I have some 720 KB floppies that I used with the dos images I found on the internet. The floppies were not the 1.44 version.

linuxlove
Donator

Post by linuxlove »

I think another issue might be that your floppy drive is dirty. You can find 3.5" cleaning disks for cheap on eBay and isopropyl alcohol works good as a cleaner if you don't get the little bottle of cleaning solution.
Goodbye.

killbuddy

Post by killbuddy »

linuxlove wrote:I think another issue might be that your floppy drive is dirty. You can find 3.5" cleaning disks for cheap on eBay and isopropyl alcohol works good as a cleaner if you don't get the little bottle of cleaning solution.

I might have to give that a try. I don't know if it has ever been cleaned before. Had not thought of this. Thanks.