BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 23h, 15m | CPU: 38% | MEM: 4958MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Why my laser mouse (wired) keeps freezing every 2-5 seconds        Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:21 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Android 2.3.7
For those who don't know, I'm using Windows XP SP3 Professional, and my mouse (Genius NetScroll G500, USB) keeps freezing every 2-5 seconds, until it "dies" (I can't move it or anything, it's like turned off). Sometimes it works normally, sometimes doesn't. I really don't know what it causes to keep freezing. This problem doesn't seem to occur in Linux for now and when Windows is in Safe Mode. I'm downloading new updates, but I'm not expecting any kind of positive results, so please do not answer with driver updating. Could you please tell me what to do to fix it properly? Note that mouse is brand-new, bought today.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why my laser mouse (wired) keeps freezing every 2-5 seco        Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Arch Linux
TomKTW wrote:
For those who don't know, I'm using Windows XP SP3 Professional, and my mouse (Genius NetScroll G500, USB) keeps freezing every 2-5 seconds, until it "dies" (I can't move it or anything, it's like turned off). Sometimes it works normally, sometimes doesn't. I really don't know what it causes to keep freezing. This problem doesn't seem to occur in Linux for now and when Windows is in Safe Mode. I'm downloading new updates, but I'm not expecting any kind of positive results, so please do not answer with driver updating. Could you please tell me what to do to fix it properly? Note that mouse is brand-new, bought today.

Could be a faulty connection inside the mouse. If you bought it today, try to see if you can get it replaced. I was going to suggest replacing the batteries, then I noticed you said it was wired...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Why my laser mouse (wired) keeps freezing every 2-5 seco        Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
Have you installed any specific Genius NetScroll G500 drivers or just let windows install the universal one ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why my laser mouse (wired) keeps freezing every 2-5 seco        Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Arch Linux
Whistler_fan wrote:
Have you installed any specific Genius NetScroll G500 drivers or just let windows install the universal one ?

Did you not read his post? He said not to suggest driver updates.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Why my laser mouse (wired) keeps freezing every 2-5 seco        Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win XP build 2419 | Win7 and up
FoobyZeeky wrote:
Whistler_fan wrote:

Did you not read his post? He said not to suggest driver updates.

Yep i read it, i'm not suggesting it, only asking if the universal is installed or not.
It's part of information acquisition, so a solution or a suggestion of any kind can be made.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why my laser mouse (wired) keeps freezing every 2-5 seco        Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Arch Linux
In that case, according to this, the mouse came with a CD containing drivers for XP, Vista and 7. I'm assuming you used that CD, but use it if you didn't.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Why my laser mouse (wired) keeps freezing every 2-5 seco        Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:33 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RC1
Well, assuming the updates don't do anything, I would say that the mouse is probably bad. The only other possible scenarios are that possibly when you run Windows in Safe Mode an alternative universal driver is loaded and thus the mouse works better. This would be a very odd situation as more than likely the mouse wouldn't do so well in reviews because you can't be the only one running XP Sp3. Erratic behavior with any piece of technology tends to fall into the category of bad hardware so indeed if updating doesn't work I would suggest trying to replace it with a different mouse. Best of Luck ^^

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Why my laser mouse (wired) keeps freezing every 2-5 seco        Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:07 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Android 2.3.7
I've done update, seems okay... But I don't think it's going to stay for long that way...

EDIT: And it didn't. Worse thing is that it seems that it fails in Safe mode too...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why my laser mouse (wired) keeps freezing every 2-5 seco        Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:07 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Arch Linux
TomKTW wrote:
I've done update, seems okay... But I don't think it's going to stay for long that way...

EDIT: And it didn't. Worse thing is that it seems that it fails in Safe mode too...

Most likely a hardware problem, then. Can you get it replaced?

Top  Profile  WWW