Will this tablet run Windows 8?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
NiNs

Will this tablet run Windows 8?

Post by NiNs »

Hello, confused newbie here.

I'm planning to buy an Android tablet soon (it's not out yet).
It apparently has an ARM Cortex-A8 1.2 Ghz processor.
Since Windows 8 is supposed to run on ARM chips I'm hoping it will run on this tablet.

Will it be a different version or will the same builds currently being leaked also work for the tablet?

Finally, I'd like to know if standard Windows Desktop Applications will work on a tablet.
Apparently someone from Intel said they won't. Microsoft didn't clear the air about it.

Thanks for all your help.

linuxlove
Donator

Re: Will this tablet run Windows 8?

Post by linuxlove »

The only ARM tablets Windows 8 will run on are the ones that Microsoft allows Win8 to run on.

And yes, ARM Windows 8 will not be able to run x86 or x64 EXEs. Thankfully, Microsoft is developing their new AppX format.
Goodbye.

NiNs

Post by NiNs »

I see. So applications will be ported to the new format?
Well.. I was wondering if I could run something like NetBeans on a tablet.
Maybe I'm expecting too much.

Thanks for your prompt response :)

zinamo
Donator

Post by zinamo »

I think it's too early to say if Win8 will work on some kind of tablet... My guess is that most likely tablets with win7 will also be compatible with win8, but it's only a guess...

to run PC Apps on any tablet my suggestion is to use some kind of x86 emulator, put inside a fast Windows and run them from it... On my PocketPc, I do so to use dos applications...

BogdanV

Post by BogdanV »

As long as the tablet falls within Microsoft's specifications AND one of the following is met, you should be fine :
- bootloader access
- platform-specific tools to build a ROM

Sadly, I haven't seen a ARM device (be it phone or tablet) on which you could install the OS like on a PC (as in, no ROM, no flashing). I find it quite limiting in our time and age.
There's also the small chance that someone might manage to run it in a chroot jail like they did with Ubuntu, but your best bet is to do it yourself when possible and not wait for someone else.

The Tegra platform is one of the ARM-compatibles for which Win8 will be available. That and the support Nvidia offers might give us a winner (I hope Tegra 2 will be supported).