Windows 8 App Store Picture Released

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
giantsteen
Donator

Windows 8 App Store Picture Released

Post by giantsteen »

Found this picture from some guy on Facebook; he has a few builds and I have gotten a few pictures from him before, but this one he just posted an hour ago:

Nightsteed
Donator

Re: Windows 8 App Store Picture Released

Post by Nightsteed »

Looks good for me... It's simple and detailed :)

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Fake. The App Store will not be called the "App Store" (that name is trademarked by Apple, Microsoft are opting for either the "Microsoft Store" or the "Windows Store" from what I hear), nor will it look anything like that screenshot - It's going to be Metro-styled.

giantsteen
Donator

Post by giantsteen »

He say's it's from build 7980.

Another Picture Released:

SpiralVortex

Post by SpiralVortex »

giantsteen wrote:Found this picture from some guy on Facebook; he has a few builds and I have gotten a few pictures from him before, but this one he just posted an hour ago:

That was posted over a month ago here:

http://www.waybeta.com/news/81485/windo ... sonalized/

PS - Windows 8 has centre-justified text in the title bars and has done for months now. That app store "screenshot" doesn't. Windows 8 has larger close, maximise and minimise buttons and has done for a few weeks. That "screenshot" shows pixel-for-pixel the same size controls as Windows 7. Draw your own conclusions. ;)

DeFacto

Post by DeFacto »

From what I heard the app store thing is going to be called Microsoft Marketplace...

ASV93

Post by ASV93 »

Fake. Reasons:

-Image edited over WMP12.
-Windows AppStore won't be available for Windows 7.
-Windows AppStore can't be named "AppStore" (Trademark registered by Apple).
-Windows AppStore will have Metro UI.

spunker88

Post by spunker88 »

Looks so much like WMP 12. Chances are that is what this image was shopped from.

razziatore
Donator

Post by razziatore »

The only thing that is sure is there will be an app store for Windows. But I don't think it will be based on WMP12 and called "Windows App Store".

R27
Donator

Post by R27 »

Totally fake. Looks like Media Player but worse :S

Coppermine
Donator

Post by Coppermine »

I hope it's fake.
Why does Microsoft try to be like apple? :cry:
Long Live Windows XP!

linuxlove
Donator

Post by linuxlove »

Well, the "Windows App Store" is for sure fake but there are hints at there being an official App Store in Windows 8.
Goodbye.

compgeke
Donator

Post by compgeke »

Actually, great proof that MS wouldn't name this "App Store" is because Apple sued Amazon over the name.

razziatore
Donator

Post by razziatore »

I think "Windows Marketplace" could be the name, in order to be consistent with the other Marketplaces already operating (Xbox and Windows Phone).

Phenom II

Post by Phenom II »

It wont even look anything like that.

There is no reason to post real / fake screen shots until the new UI is implimented
"The people who know, won't say, and the people who say, don't know."

T02my

Post by T02my »

Will be nice, if this available for Windows 8.

leonbollerup
Donator

Post by leonbollerup »

hounsell wrote:Fake. The App Store will not be called the "App Store" (that name is trademarked by Apple, Microsoft are opting for either the "Microsoft Store" or the "Windows Store" from what I hear), nor will it look anything like that screenshot - It's going to be Metro-styled.
Its not fake, and apple have not "yet" managed to copy right app store...

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/news/mi ... app-store/

razziatore
Donator

Post by razziatore »

leonbollerup wrote:
Its not fake
Have you any proof those screenshots are real?

ultrawindows
Donator

Post by ultrawindows »

neowin.net/forum/topic/967600-windows-app-store-screenshot/

Nuff said.

Check date/user/userposts ..

leonbollerup
Donator

Post by leonbollerup »

nothing but speculation ... remember ... even microsoft can leak a picture just to see the reactions online ;)

razziatore
Donator

Post by razziatore »

leonbollerup wrote:nothing but speculation ... remember ... even microsoft can leak a picture just to see the reactions online ;)
But I don't think they "leak" a sort of WMP12 mod. That's just an old interpretation of a Neowin user, as you can see in the address above (it's plain text and not a link, here it is: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/96760 ... creenshot/). It's sure MS is working on an app store model for Win8, but won't be like what we've seen today.

leonbollerup
Donator

Post by leonbollerup »

maybe.. maybe not.. one thing is sure.. vista looked nothing like vista.

During a dev. cycle, many ideas is being thrown around, early ideas might look vauge and outright wrong, but that dosent mean that they dont carry a part of thruth..

Is the image above a fake.. maybe.. maybe not.. either way.. we know that a app store is coming..

jman6495

Post by jman6495 »

Its interesting, considering either Microsoft or google recently started debating legally with apple over if the appstore name was too general , also we all know that the UI starts basic and changes (longhorns explorer for example) into what microsoft want it to be , I wouldn't discredit these screenshots just yet but the appstore name seems highly unlightly , microsoft still playing catchup on us linux users who have had an appstore for over 4 years now ...
█ ██ trust █ ██████ your ██████ ██ ███ government ███ ████ ██████ ██████ everything ██ ██████ ██ is ████ ███ fine.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

jman6495 wrote:microsoft still playing catchup on us linux users who have had an appstore for over 4 years now ...
No. You've had a package manager. A very different thing.

SpiralVortex

Post by SpiralVortex »

leonbollerup wrote: Is the image above a fake.. maybe.. maybe not.. either way.. we know that a app store is coming..
I would have said that image was a fake. It's certainly not from Windows 8 (or at least a recent version) as it predates the changes mentioned in my last post. The CES unveiling of Windows 8 on ARM, with the centred title bars, was on the 5th January, so the image would have to be older than that.

Microsoft is pretty strict with its UIs. It may appear to break rules (Office being a case in point) but there are always certain style guidelines that are sacrosanct. One of those style guidelines is that you don't duplicate top-level menus with those drop-down buttons - so you won't find a "File" or "Edit" dropdown menu in any MS program (or Windows) - and yes, I know Office has the File tab, but that's not a dropdown menu control. That's what menu bars are for - even if, by default, they're hidden these days.

Microsoft also know how to align labels on dialog boxes and other elements, as it's not exactly rocket science. The person who did this mock-up, however, lacked that skill. Text labels, when truncated, wouldn't have half of a character in them (second picture); the only way to get that would be to render the text as a graphic, or the elipsis as a graphic. That'd be a monumental waste of time, so I doubt they'd do that.

In short - 5/10 for effort. It looks convincing at first glance, but the sloppiness in the cut-n-pasting of text and those daft menu buttons gives the game away!