BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 8d, 5h, 4m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 4845MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Tons of OS/2 abandonware        Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:21 pm 

Favourite OS
OS/2 Warp 4.0
Hi there,

I' m new to this site. I have tons of os/2 betas and abandonware (both main OS and apps). I wonder how I could contribute some releases to the site?.

Thanks
F

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tons of OS/2 abandonware        Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:27 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
Do you have any betas of OS/2 from before IBM and Microsoft split up? The reason I'm asking is that I collect mainly betas of Microsoft operating systems, and as such, any betas of OS/2 from before IBM and Microsoft split up would be greatly appreciated.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tons of OS/2 abandonware        Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:29 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
aissacf, can you post a full list of what you have ?

Glitch City Laboratories Forums • irc.ringoflightning.net #arena • WackyChatVerseCryptdogec0in

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tons of OS/2 abandonware        Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:44 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98
aissacf, you're just new to BA. Try to post some 10 Contributing post to be able to access FTP Servers to help us.

I'm interested in OS/2 Stuff too. :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tons of OS/2 abandonware        Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:22 pm 

Favourite OS
OS/2 Warp 4.0
WinPC wrote:
Do you have any betas of OS/2 from before IBM and Microsoft split up? The reason I'm asking is that I collect mainly betas of Microsoft operating systems, and as such, any betas of OS/2 from before IBM and Microsoft split up would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I entered the OS/2 world with the first 32-bit version, when Microsoft had already left the OS development to IBM. So, my first version was OS/2 2.0 on 5 1/4 diskettes. The first version on CD I have is the IBM OS/2 2.1 beta, dated 3/93.

If you want that, let me know, and I' ll make a post and upload to megaupload or similar sites.

F

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tons of OS/2 abandonware        Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:38 pm 
Donator

Fanculo (anche conosciuto come Quel Paese)
This is not the best category to post this thread. Get 10 posts and go to Requests/Offers section, please.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tons of OS/2 abandonware        Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:18 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS/2 Warp 4 (14.098b_W4)
CapitanPeanut wrote:
This is not the best category to post this thread. Get 10 posts and go to Requests/Offers section, please.

Actually you don't need 10 posts to post an offer, only a request.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tons of OS/2 abandonware        Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:28 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP Professional SP3
WinPC wrote:

Wait, you mean Microsoft and IBM were working together at some point?

When they were working together, did they both contribute to making the IBM DOS OSes? Just wondering because I happen to have the install floppies for IBM DOS 5.0, and I'll be glad to upload them once I have advanced user status.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tons of OS/2 abandonware        Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:03 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
They split up during the development of NT OS/2 because of how Microsoft chose to abandon the OS/2 API in favor of the Windows one due to how more people chose to move up to Windows 3.0 than OS/2 1.2 and later (NT OS/2 was likewise renamed to Windows NT to reflect this).

So the original OS/2 was developed further to become OS/2 2.0 (which Microsoft developed together with IBM during the earlier part of development, prior to the split), as well as OS/2 2.1, OS/2 Warp 3.0, and OS/2 Warp 4.0, whereas NT OS/2 was developed further to become the finished Windows NT 3.1 product, which has seen numerous updates to this day. And while people did not generally move up to OS/2, there were, however, large numbers of people moving up to Windows NT.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tons of OS/2 abandonware        Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:02 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98SE
WinPC wrote:
They split up during the development of NT OS/2 because of how Microsoft chose to abandon the OS/2 API in favor of the Windows one due to how more people chose to move up to Windows 3.0 than OS/2 1.2 and later (NT OS/2 was likewise renamed to Windows NT to reflect this).

So the original OS/2 was developed further to become OS/2 2.0 (which Microsoft developed together with IBM during the earlier part of development, prior to the split), as well as OS/2 2.1, OS/2 Warp 3.0, and OS/2 Warp 4.0, whereas NT OS/2 was developed further to become the finished Windows NT 3.1 product, which has seen numerous updates to this day. And while people did not generally move up to OS/2, there were, however, large numbers of people moving up to Windows NT.

You can get MS-IBM OS/2 easily. Just download anything before 2.0

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tons of OS/2 abandonware        Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:55 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Actually, I was referring to his question about the development process, and not to any requests for the releases themselves, thanks.

Top  Profile  WWW