Tons of OS/2 abandonware

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
aissacf

Tons of OS/2 abandonware

Post by aissacf »

Hi there,

I' m new to this site. I have tons of os/2 betas and abandonware (both main OS and apps). I wonder how I could contribute some releases to the site?.

Thanks
F

WinPC

Re: Tons of OS/2 abandonware

Post by WinPC »

Do you have any betas of OS/2 from before IBM and Microsoft split up? The reason I'm asking is that I collect mainly betas of Microsoft operating systems, and as such, any betas of OS/2 from before IBM and Microsoft split up would be greatly appreciated.

The Distractor

Post by The Distractor »

aissacf, can you post a full list of what you have ?

Ahmed Jebara
Donator

Post by Ahmed Jebara »

aissacf, you're just new to BA. Try to post some 10 Contributing post to be able to access FTP Servers to help us.

I'm interested in OS/2 Stuff too. :D
%1

aissacf

Post by aissacf »

WinPC wrote:Do you have any betas of OS/2 from before IBM and Microsoft split up? The reason I'm asking is that I collect mainly betas of Microsoft operating systems, and as such, any betas of OS/2 from before IBM and Microsoft split up would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry, I entered the OS/2 world with the first 32-bit version, when Microsoft had already left the OS development to IBM. So, my first version was OS/2 2.0 on 5 1/4 diskettes. The first version on CD I have is the IBM OS/2 2.1 beta, dated 3/93.

If you want that, let me know, and I' ll make a post and upload to megaupload or similar sites.

F

CaptainPeanut
Donator

Post by CaptainPeanut »

This is not the best category to post this thread. Get 10 posts and go to Requests/Offers section, please.

compgeke
Donator

Post by compgeke »

CapitanPeanut wrote:This is not the best category to post this thread. Get 10 posts and go to Requests/Offers section, please.
Actually you don't need 10 posts to post an offer, only a request.

Krytus

Post by Krytus »

WinPC wrote:Do you have any betas of OS/2 from before IBM and Microsoft split up? The reason I'm asking is that I collect mainly betas of Microsoft operating systems, and as such, any betas of OS/2 from before IBM and Microsoft split up would be greatly appreciated.
Wait, you mean Microsoft and IBM were working together at some point?

When they were working together, did they both contribute to making the IBM DOS OSes? Just wondering because I happen to have the install floppies for IBM DOS 5.0, and I'll be glad to upload them once I have advanced user status.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

They split up during the development of NT OS/2 because of how Microsoft chose to abandon the OS/2 API in favor of the Windows one due to how more people chose to move up to Windows 3.0 than OS/2 1.2 and later (NT OS/2 was likewise renamed to Windows NT to reflect this).

So the original OS/2 was developed further to become OS/2 2.0 (which Microsoft developed together with IBM during the earlier part of development, prior to the split), as well as OS/2 2.1, OS/2 Warp 3.0, and OS/2 Warp 4.0, whereas NT OS/2 was developed further to become the finished Windows NT 3.1 product, which has seen numerous updates to this day. And while people did not generally move up to OS/2, there were, however, large numbers of people moving up to Windows NT.

James

Post by James »

WinPC wrote:They split up during the development of NT OS/2 because of how Microsoft chose to abandon the OS/2 API in favor of the Windows one due to how more people chose to move up to Windows 3.0 than OS/2 1.2 and later (NT OS/2 was likewise renamed to Windows NT to reflect this).

So the original OS/2 was developed further to become OS/2 2.0 (which Microsoft developed together with IBM during the earlier part of development, prior to the split), as well as OS/2 2.1, OS/2 Warp 3.0, and OS/2 Warp 4.0, whereas NT OS/2 was developed further to become the finished Windows NT 3.1 product, which has seen numerous updates to this day. And while people did not generally move up to OS/2, there were, however, large numbers of people moving up to Windows NT.
You can get MS-IBM OS/2 easily. Just download anything before 2.0

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

Actually, I was referring to his question about the development process, and not to any requests for the releases themselves, thanks.