Windows 7 WiFi Hotspot Creator Public Release

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Alpha-Critik

Windows 7 WiFi Hotspot Creator Public Release

Post by Alpha-Critik »

For the first time in history, I actually decided to code something potentially useful. Said useful project is a tiny application which creates wireless hotspots on machines which have Windows 7 installed. As far as I’m aware, the app will work on every iteration of Windows 7 so there’s no need to worry about that issue.

The program took me 8 hours or so to program up to a releasable standard, including debugging time. The language the program was created in is VB.net (don’t ask). Please keep in mind that this application takes advantage of unfinished features in Windows 7, so there are only a few networking chipsets which are known to work at this time. Intel’s latest 32-bit and 64-bit drivers should now include support, as do various others for Atheros, Broadcom, Realtek and other big players, but these don’t apply to every chipset.

I humbly request that all those who download the application report back here with the following:

Your network card or chipset
Your version of Windows 7 (just in case)
Any bugs you find in the program
Any ideas you have for the program

Thanks in advance. -Segphault
Screenshot as requested:

Please see here in order to download the application.

I am aware of the input lag in the SSID box. The wireless key must exceed 8 alphanumeric characters.

I can't make any promises to how stable the program is, as I've only been able to test it on two machines. If BA could test this and let me know if you guys get any success, then I would be very grateful.

-AC

P.S. This app does interface with the command line, so do not be alarmed if you see any command prompts pop up.
P.P.S. Having the Internet Connection Sharing service turned off may cause some issues with the program, though this is also untested.
Web developer, part-time moderator, full-time CSS wizard.

floppydisk

Re: Windows 7 WiFi Hotspot Creator Public Release

Post by floppydisk »

It doesn't seem to work with my Broadcom 43xx series a/b/g wireless card in my laptop. It says everything worked correctly, but I can't see the network from another computer. It also doesn't work on the laptop when a Ralink CB54G2 PCMCIA card (Ralink) is inserted, and the onboard wifi is disabled. I tried running your program on the other computer, and got the same results. The computer has a usb linksys WUSB54G (Ralink) adapter.

It seems that whatever bug is causing the software to not work is not caused by the Wifi chipset. Also, I am also running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on both machines.

By the way, it would be nice if there was a selection box that selected which wifi card to use.

Hope this helps you make your program better :)

xpclient

Re: Windows 7 WiFi Hotspot Creator Public Release

Post by xpclient »

A screenshot would help a lot.
xpclient
Huge Microsoft fan and old software collector since Windows 3.0 and MS-DOS :mrgreen:
I did the testing and feedback for Classic Shell.