Mac OS X Server Version 1.2 vs 1.2v3

Discuss OS X and OS X Server.
OsBuff

Mac OS X Server Version 1.2 vs 1.2v3

Post by OsBuff »

What is the difference between Mac OS X server 1.2 and version 1.2v3 – apart from that the v3 has support for Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet.

Was there any updates, fixes or similar to the new version or was it just implementation to support newer hardware?

RacerX

Re: Mac OS X Server Version 1.2 vs 1.2v3

Post by RacerX »

It was strictly an extension of the software to support newer hardware because Mac OS X 10.0 was taking far longer to bring to market than Apple had originally expected. Mac OS X Server 1.x wouldn't get replaced until the summer of 2001 when Apple finally released Mac OS X Server 10.0.3 (the first version based on Mac OS X rather than Rhapsody).

In all actuality, Mac OS X Server 1.0.2 has most of the important elements and updates (though you have to manually update Blue Box images from Mac OS 8.5 to 8.6). Mac OS X Server 1.2 was also mainly an extension to support G4 based systems.

Everyone who was on the Mac OS X Server 1.x development team was moved to Mac OS X development. Apple had actually thought that Mac OS X Server 1.0 was going to be a one shot deal and would be quickly replaced with a version based on Mac OS X. The fact that it was around for as long as it was (more than 2 years) was not planned by anyone at Apple, and by the summer of 1999 all work on it had stopped. A few people were pulled off of Mac OS X development to get the software running on G4s at the end of 1999, and again at the end of 2000 for Gigabit Ethernet support, but that was it.

A small number of people received a Mac OS X Server 1.2 upgrade CD, but those were quickly discontinued when it was realized that they would be upgrading the software on only pre-G4 systems and therefore offered no additional benefits.

louisw3

Post by louisw3 »

The real bummer was that the 1.2+ cd's were not bootable... So those of us that ran out and got the 1.0 on the launch day, and ran it on a g3 were ok, but the 'upgrade' to a G4 became hell... Apple wasn't that much help on the thing, so I ended up running linux for a few months until the OS X public beta....

I can remember that as a big WOW event, because even a slow OSX was just so radically different for the 'feel' then the old 1.x OSX.... Not to mention the ability for the bluebox to run seamlessly... I wonder if I still have the patches to ONI to make it osx friendly... wow that was such a long time ago!
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

RacerX

Post by RacerX »

To hear you talk about it, you'd think no one was still using it today.

Click to enlarge

And the solution for installing 1.0+1.2 upgrade onto a G4 was actually pretty straight forward. Install 1.0 on a hard drive in a G3, apply the 1.2 upgrade while still in the G3, move the hard drive to a G4. I actually kept two hard drives (one SCSI, one ATA) with 1.2 installed on them handy in case I needed to service a 1.x system that wasn't booting correctly (though I never got the chance to use them in the field).

louisw3

Post by louisw3 »

RacerX wrote:To hear you talk about it, you'd think no one was still using it today.

Click to enlarge

And the solution for installing 1.0+1.2 upgrade onto a G4 was actually pretty straight forward. Install 1.0 on a hard drive in a G3, apply the 1.2 upgrade while still in the G3, move the hard drive to a G4. I actually kept two hard drives (one SCSI, one ATA) with 1.2 installed on them handy in case I needed to service a 1.x system that wasn't booting correctly (though I never got the chance to use them in the field).
I'm pretty sure nobody is using it anymore...... I'd be very surprised to see it in some kind of production situation. Esp considering the hardware is so old & certainly out of warranty... Which is why I got tripped up on the g3 to g4 move, I'd have to void mine to move the disk around.... I was going to break down and do it, but then the public beta of OS X 10 started so it seemed pointless..

Do you know of any people still relying on EOF?

I've heard certain three letter government agency's used it extensively, but I'm sure they've moved onto newer things in the last 20 years...
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

RacerX

Post by RacerX »

louisw3 wrote:I'm pretty sure nobody is using it anymore...
Glad to know that I'm now considered nobody... Oh well.

I'm surprised at the number of people who still visit my nobody site, but they're most likely nobodies as well. At least I find my site useful, so I guess I'll keep it up anyways.

OsBuff

Post by OsBuff »

RacerX.

Thank you for the information. It was quite informative.

Today I have version 1.2 installed on a G3 B+W but I am planing to install version 1.2v3 on my G4 Gigabit Ethernet model M5183. Not sure if this will speed up things.

Taking down rhapsodyos.org would be an gigantic loss for the Rhapsody community. I am there quite frequently. It is a very good site, lots of info, tutorials and so on. I am sure more people would appreciate Rhapsody - if they get a chance to use it.

I have just begun using Server version 1.2. There is a lot to like about this OS. Its kind of Mac OS 9.2.2 on steroids. Now I’m looking for apps for the platform. Stone Design is next on my list.

VSEAE15O

Post by VSEAE15O »

I'll up'l Mac OS X 1.2v3 (Medusa1E3) to those who need it--gigabit ethernet.

I can confirm the extension for Firewire and USB is there. It is also bootable unlike 1.2 (Pele1Q10).

The contents and even the name of the disk was identical to 1.2 until I spotted the ReadMe file which spec'ed "1.2 v3".

I'm now just waiting for 2 TiBooks to try this on.

And on 1 other TiBook, I'm more reluctant to try Mac OS X DR2 since it doesn't support sleep/power management.

orsg

Post by orsg »

So what's up with 1.2v3? I saw it on the upload-account some time ago, but now it's gone from there and it's not listed in the ftp's changelog :(