BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 15d, 15h, 50m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 5551MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:31 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX 10.8 Dev 4
Does anyone here but me like Alpha better than Beta? When it was just a simple survival sandbox game with a clear goal of survival it had a awesome feel to it. I also like the textures better than Beta. Now with the enchanting, new biomes, mobs, NPC villages, and what not, I think it's cool and all, but its too much. Anyone agree?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:47 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
MS DOS 7.1
I felt that Alpha got a bit boring, after I made a few worlds and did all the various things I just kind of ran out of things I wanted to do. I think the best experience, is when you are new to the game and there are all these things to learn and do.

I personally think that the addition of these new features is keeping the game alive, as it kind of died for me a little bit after awhile of the same thing.

Also, the game is no longer in Beta, it is fully released now. Not to say that there are not going to be more updates with more features, but the game is no longer technically in its "Beta" stage anymore. Its 1.1 final at the moment ^^

Last edited by Gmod1001 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:48 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS
Alpha was better than beta in my opinion, all these new additions actually make the game LESS fun to play now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:50 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
MS DOS 7.1
Offtopic Comment
Awooo, I see you also have DOS Listed as a favourite OS :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:56 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS
Offtopic Comment
Yes, it's an awesome OS!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:04 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Linux mint 17
I find Beta better but final is the best for my game play

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:47 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian
Offtopic Comment
Either I was a retard pushing the wrong button, or the forum accidentally my post.

I really like all the new features. Without them the game got kinda boring or you got more or less stuck after an hour or so. The new RPG elements add a whole new element to the game that's really cool.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:49 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Awooo wrote:
Alpha was better than beta in my opinion, all these new additions actually make the game LESS fun to play now.

You can still do all the same stuff as before. Things were only added, not removed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
XP Pro SP3
Personally I enjoyed all the releases since alpha 1.2, Each had their own new quirks adding to the mechanics of the game. But it has gotten a bit of a bore lately... and now that there's a lunar cycle or something implemented in the code, perhaps there ought to be a sort of "Horde" mode for Survival to mix things up and make it that much more difficult. I mean we can all stay in our houses, but how long when there are 3 endermen tearing it down and all sorts of other mobs trying to get at you.

Not the first to suggest it, but yeah. It'd be awesome. :D

I like all the features and everything, Minecraft has thrived because of the minor changes every once in a while, and I think thats what keeps some of us interested.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:33 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
MS DOS 7.1
darman213 wrote:
there ought to be a sort of "Horde" mode for Survival to mix things up and make it that much more difficult. I mean we can all stay in our houses, but how long when there are 3 endermen tearing it down and all sorts of other mobs trying to get at you.

Yeah, I think there needs to be more directed game modes like this, I mean Survival and Creative are good for [censored] around and doing whatever, but more directed modes with goals should make appearances, perhaps things like the Horde mode you mentioned, or a Capture the Flag mode.
Actually, perhaps a base defence mode, sort of like that Source mode, what was it called... Sourceforts!
These would all be so much fun in Multiplayer.

Perhaps even a dedicated mode for Spleef!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:05 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
For me Beta was better, BUT only pre-1.8 builds. New food system, and everything after that (changing from typical sandbox to mmo-like game) - I just doesn't like it. I have tried creative mode - but it's not the same as when I was building 100x100x30 cave underground on Y=5, using only TNT and pickaxe. On our server they were around 300 people playing before 1.8 update, then the number of players started to fall. For now, server is still running, but from logs I see that almost nobody is playing on it.

Much better from "Adventure Update" was for me MCMMO plugin for Bukkit - you've got skills from mining, falling, etc, and with higher levels you can eg. survive high fall, chance to mine something from dirt (glowstone, food, diamonds on higher level).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:36 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 RC
I bought the game during the 1.7 phase of beta, then got curious about how it was before then so I got MCNostalgia for the purpose of playing the alpha. The Alpha version has a quaint, simplistic feel compared to how current Minecraft plays out, but the Beta version has more features (mobs, items, world features, etc.)
Due to the lack of decision-ability, I'm gonna say that I liked both equally with Alpha a little higher up. Alpha's cool because it's sort of like a time capsule that shows you how things were in the past compared to now, without our fancy-shmancy Enchantments and Endermanz.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:25 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX 10.8 Dev 4
If you guys are curious to other versions, (older versions I presume) then I think there is a thing called MCNostalgia that gives you a .jar of the older versions. ^^

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:38 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
New features are great. But come beta 1.4+ the game lost a lot of its feel. With smooth lighting and other updates, Minecraft became less and less Minecraft. Atmosphere is a huge component of a game for me, and after exiting alpha, minecraft lost a lot of its atmosphere. Maybe it is because I was newer to the game, but minecraft was a mysterious world back in alpha. Coal was rare, and you HAD to find it to survive it. Mobs were feared back then. Now days I feel that mobs were nerfed. The game became to easy. But other than that, minecraft gets better every update. I have no preference. Pistons, redstone repeaters, endermen, all these great things were added to the game! But it lost is atmosphere, and when 1.8 came out, it barley felt like the minecraft I played almost a year ago.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:49 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX 10.8 Dev 4
Walrus+Turnip wrote:
New features are great. But come beta 1.4+ the game lost a lot of its feel. With smooth lighting and other updates, Minecraft became less and less Minecraft. Atmosphere is a huge component of a game for me, and after exiting alpha, minecraft lost a lot of its atmosphere. Maybe it is because I was newer to the game, but minecraft was a mysterious world back in alpha. Coal was rare, and you HAD to find it to survive it. Mobs were feared back then. Now days I feel that mobs were nerfed. The game became to easy. But other than that, minecraft gets better every update. I have no preference. Pistons, redstone repeaters, endermen, all these great things were added to the game! But it lost is atmosphere, and when 1.8 came out, it barley felt like the minecraft I played almost a year ago.

Hmm, I agree to this but in this post you've displayed my views on the game from some other thread, (which you were against my views and thought otherwise) so In that thread you're all towards the newer updates of the game, but in this you're telling me It's lost It's atmosphere. Kinda odd... 8-)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:49 am 
Donator

Take a backward step, then a forward step

Favourite OS
LH 4015, Chicago 73g, XP 2416
Maybe 1.3 should have more options for the way a world works, like switching from 1.2s, 1.8s, and 1.7s and even earlier terrain generators, having finite maps and stuff, etc. Would love it. :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:30 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
I personally like Alpha more than Beta. The reason I like Alpha more is it has more of the original feel to Minecraft and it was more of a sandbox survival type game. Another thing I liked about Alpha was that you actually should be afraid of the night and you would get really excited if you found diamond. The last thing i enjoyed about Alpha were the secret Friday updates and the holiday updates like the nether during Halloween.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:30 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Xiros wrote:
I personally like Alpha more than Beta. The reason I like Alpha more is it has more of the original feel to Minecraft and it was more of a sandbox survival type game. Another thing I liked about Alpha was that you actually should be afraid of the night and you would get really excited if you found diamond. The last thing i enjoyed about Alpha were the secret Friday updates and the holiday updates like the nether during Halloween.

Alpha gets boring fast. Just sayin.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:11 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX 10.8 Dev 4
moto85 wrote:
Xiros wrote:

That's a matter of personal opinion my friend.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:05 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Wumbowalrus wrote:
moto85 wrote:
Xiros wrote:

That's a matter of personal opinion my friend.

Totally agree on that.. =) ive played both for a long time but there have been a while since i loaded alpha..

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:11 am 

I personally find the new version a lot more interesting, and it's not like the old stuff was completely removed (like quite a few said already), it does sometimes seem a bit overcluttered now with all the new features, though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
I'd maybe say everything from Infdev (came before Alpha) up to 1.7. The new biomes and some of the new mechanics to the game are alright, but I still prefer the releases earlier than 1.8. Luckily there are mods that bring back the old feel of the game with the new and old flavors in it for the new versions.

I'd say probably Beta though. Beta has some good features that I like, and through most of its lifetime it added extra spice to Alpha.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:09 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Wumbowalrus wrote:
Walrus+Turnip wrote:

Hmm, I agree to this but in this post you've displayed my views on the game from some other thread, (which you were against my views and thought otherwise) so In that thread you're all towards the newer updates of the game, but in this you're telling me It's lost It's atmosphere. Kinda odd... 8-)

Offtopic Comment
Actually in the other thread I said that people shouldn't complain about updates, not that alpha or beta was better than the other. Please specify what post, apparently I have a bad habbit of contradicting myself. There is a reason my pic is Derpy =P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:07 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Walrus+Turnip wrote:

Many people dont know that you can put tree wood in a furnace to make charcoal. Made life much easier, and has been around since Alpha I believe.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Minecraft Alpha vs Minecraft Beta        Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:34 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX 10.8 Dev 4
DarkerJ wrote:
Walrus+Turnip wrote:

Many people dont know that you can put tree wood in a furnace to make charcoal. Made life much easier, and has been around since Alpha I believe.

Nooo that came out long after Alpha.

Top  Profile  WWW