BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 8d, 17h, 16m | CPU: 24% | MEM: 5174MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Should I install Windows Embedded or keep Windows DP?        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:38 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows XP Service Pack 3
So I currently have Windows DP as my current OS, should I switch to Windows 7 Embedded standard instead? Need answers quick!

http://windowsisos.freeforums.org/index.php Windows ISO's Fourm (My Fourm) (Need Moderators!)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I install Windows Embedded or keep Windows DP?        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:38 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
use the PLAIN Windows 7 OS, Windows 8 DP is NOT stable enough for a everyday OS

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I install Windows Embedded or keep Windows DP?        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:39 pm 

Favourite OS
TheCollector1988 wrote:
use the PLAIN Windows 7 OS, Windows 8 DP is NOT stable enough for a everyday OS
Yes, But my laptop is old so installing the full one would slow it down.

http://windowsisos.freeforums.org/index.php Windows ISO's Fourm (My Fourm) (Need Moderators!)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I install Windows Embedded or keep Windows DP?        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:48 pm 
Donator

You installed 8 DP but can't install 7 RTM because it would slow it down? Where's the logic in that...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I install Windows Embedded or keep Windows DP?        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:53 pm 
Donator

Fanculo (anche conosciuto come Quel Paese)
ERROR 404 : Logic not found.
Install XP.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I install Windows Embedded or keep Windows DP?        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:08 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 7601
Go to Advanced system settings->Advanced->Performance, Settings and disable all visual effects. This can make a huge difference on slower PCs.
You could also try Windows 7 Starter if you don't need advanced features.
Beta builds are unstable, have incomplete features and sometimes are timebombed so they are not recommended for use on a daily basis.
Windows Embedded has a different kernel (CE) instead of the NT found in retail OSes so you might have compatibility problems with drivers, devices, programs, etc.

Still the best option would be to stick to Windows XP because you will get a full featured OS and it would run smoothly. Just be sure to get Service Pack 3.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I install Windows Embedded or keep Windows DP?        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:41 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
He's using Embedded Standard, so it's still NT.

But Embedded Standard isn't a definite light install - it can be just as heavy as a full install. It depends how you configure it. And cut it too light and you can easily lose important functionality that you'll have to reinstall to get.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I install Windows Embedded or keep Windows DP?        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
If your looking for a O.S that is quick, I would recommend WinFLP. I Installed that on a Pentium 1 with 250 mb of ram, and it ran just fine, as long as you didn't open more than two programs

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I install Windows Embedded or keep Windows DP?        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:42 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Thin PC 242
I would use windows thinPC cause u dont have to cut out anything but you do have to add search back and windows media play and codec.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I install Windows Embedded or keep Windows DP?        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:04 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Linux Mint
The OP made sense to me since the WDP uses less resources than Win 7, as a matter of fact I would say it runs very close to how ThinPC or 7 Embedded Standard runs on older hardware, though not as stable. Since you already have the WDP installed, why not just wait a little longer and try the WCP when it leaks or is finally released. The most you'd have to wait is 17 days if it doesn't leak by then.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I install Windows Embedded or keep Windows DP?        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:16 pm 

I say you should just keep Win DP, since I haven't found any notable bugs, and i've been using it for a while now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I install Windows Embedded or keep Windows DP?        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:02 pm 

Favourite OS
DeFacto wrote:
You installed 8 DP but can't install 7 RTM because it would slow it down? Where's the logic in that...
Its because of the reduced RAM and CPU usage, when i am normally using my laptop it only uses 290 MB of memory while Windows 7 uses 960 MB of memory

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I install Windows Embedded or keep Windows DP?        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:14 pm 
Donator

Fanculo (anche conosciuto come Quel Paese)
Dean235 wrote:
DeFacto wrote:
Its because of the reduced RAM and CPU usage, when i am normally using my laptop it only uses 290 MB of memory while Windows 7 uses 960 MB of memory

I think you installed Windows 7 Ultimate.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I install Windows Embedded or keep Windows DP?        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 8 PRO 9200
i would say it's your choice if you like DP i don't see the problem staying on it till march. but you may as well wait for BETA now and try that before you install 7 back on your computer thats what i am doing but in respect thats just me. but if your having problems with 7 also then it will be logic just to install XP or a lightweight linux distro such as puppy linux. 290 MB of memory is not mutch at all to run on 7 needs atleast 1gb to run smooth and DP well the same

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I install Windows Embedded or keep Windows DP?        Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:41 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
Any modern version of Windows 8 (Build 8102 and similar builds onwards) should be fine, since Windows 8 is generally quite fast, not to mention that I myself find it extremely reliable (as much reliable as any pre-RTM or RTM version of Windows).

However, I do agree in that if you are about to install it, you should just wait for the Public Beta (Consumer Preview) if possible, since it's going to be made available on February 29th, however, if you need this system before then, and you wanted to install Windows 8, then I would just install Windows 8 anyway, and then continue upgrading it over time as newer builds of it are released.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I install Windows Embedded or keep Windows DP?        Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:24 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Sigma OS 3, Win8 RP WM-Edition
Install Windows 7 Thin PC

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should I install Windows Embedded or keep Windows DP?        Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:07 am 

Favourite OS
Thanks Guys! I think ill go with Windows Embedded instead.

Top  Profile  WWW