BetaArchive Logo
Archive Size: 8.67TB (7.89TiB) in 24539 files
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 4d, 1h, 1m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 4449MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: John McCarthy is dead        Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7/8. Oh and a bit XP.
John McCarthy,"the father of AI",died today at the age of 83.
He was the creator of the Lisp language.
Another visionary died. :cry:

Source: http://idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com/20 ... -at-84.php

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: John McCarthy is dead        Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
UNIX v6, Plan 9
First Dennis Ritchie, now him....that's sad news.
RIP father of Lisp.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: John McCarthy is dead        Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:28 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
This is now the third death of which I have witnessed within a technology-related community, in only over two weeks. First it was Steve Jobs within Apple Computer, then it was Dennis Ritchie, and now John McCarthy (both of whom were at Bell Labs at least once in their lives, as far as I know).

However, it has now come to the point where I am no longer surprised at all by these "unexpected deaths", no matter how sudden they may be, because I have seen far too many deaths within the last couple of years, to the point where it seems almost normal for me to see such things happen to people (NOT including deaths from natural causes - that's NOT what we're talking about with any of the above mentioned people, I'm quite certain, but rather deaths from various undiagnosed conditions, as well as heart failures, heart attacks, and strokes).

In other words, I basically expect this to happen now, because I've seen far too many "abnormal deaths" over the most recent years (however, it is now of question as to how "abnormal" such deaths are anymore).

As far as Artificial Intelligence is concerned, I'm not quite as interested in it as I am in other technology-related fields, however, I have read about it sometime back. It truely is an interesting concept, not to mention that I'm quite sure that John McCarthy played quite an important role in it, as well as creating the LISP programming language in 1958.

Once again, I certainly hope that no one here is affected by this, however, for those of whom are indeed affected, I wish the absolute best for them during this troubling time (although the consequences this time don't seem to be quite as extreme as the first two deaths, but still).

To Andy and mrpijey, you have always been excellent administrators to me, and amazing at running such a website. I wish you both the very best in life!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: John McCarthy is dead        Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:34 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Please don't put Steve Jobs near people like Dennis Ritchie and John McCarthy. Their contribution to computer science is light years away from Jobs.
RIP to both Dennis Ritchie and John McCarthy, thank you for everything you have given to our modern technology.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: John McCarthy is dead        Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:07 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Hacker?pcs wrote:
Please don't put Steve Jobs near people like Dennis Ritchie and John McCarthy. Their contribution to computer science is light years away from Jobs.
RIP to both Dennis Ritchie and John McCarthy, thank you for everything you have given to our modern technology.

Are you really going to turn this into a "WHO WAS BETTERERERR!?" thread? Disgusting.
RIP to McCarthy, Ritchie, and Jobs.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: John McCarthy is dead        Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:10 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Any Mac OS/Any Free OS
Derf wrote:
Hacker?pcs wrote:

Are you really going to turn this into a "WHO WAS BETTERERERR!?" thread? Disgusting.

All three helped to create the technology world of today… RIP to McCarthy, Ritchie, and Jobs

Pointless. Locked. -linuxlove

Pointless. -James

"If only Windows 8 was as revolutionary as Vista."-hounsell

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: John McCarthy is dead        Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:19 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
It doesn't matter how high one person values contributions or not, Regardless of opinion these men clearly have made everlasting impacts on the world, otherwise, why would we (the public) mourn them if we did not know who they were from their works?

Rest In Peace, John McCarthy, Dennis Ritchie, and Steve Jobs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: John McCarthy is dead        Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:26 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS/2 Warp 4 (14.098b_W4)
Really a bad year for those who've made a significant difference to our society, rest in peace also John.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: John McCarthy is dead        Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:15 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows XP, Longhorn, Vista
Rest In Peace to John McCarthy and Dennis Ritchie.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: John McCarthy is dead        Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:25 am 
Donator

What a month. Geez.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: John McCarthy is dead        Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:32 pm 
Donator

I don't consider anyone's death abnormal, wheter it's the president of the United States, Madonna or an average Joe... People die every day, it's just that we only notice the deaths of those who did something more or less important and those we actually care about... So no, I'm not surprised, and yes, R.I.P John...

Last edited by DeFacto on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: John McCarthy is dead        Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:05 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
AMI BIOS
Oh man, third important person in IT died. Just like I predicted. What a terrible month for IT world. Rest In Peace mr McCarthy.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: John McCarthy is dead        Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:45 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Derf wrote:
Hacker?pcs wrote:

iOS is written in C which Ritchie created and Mac OS X is based on Unix and programmed in C which was both created by Richie (Unix with Kenneth Thompson). If it wasn't him, there wouldn't be any Jobs. Of course RIP to him also, I'm not a misanthrope for god's sake, I'm not saying this. Job's contribution is big but can't be compared to the people's above.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: John McCarthy is dead        Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:00 am 
Donator

Hacker?pcs wrote:
Derf wrote:
Hacker?pcs wrote:

iOS is written in C which Ritchie created and Mac OS X is based on Unix and programmed in C which was both created by Richie (Unix with Kenneth Thompson). If it wasn't him, there wouldn't be any Jobs. Of course RIP to him also, I'm not a misanthrope for god's sake, I'm not saying this. Job's contribution is big but can't be compared to the people's above.

Darwin, which includes iOS and Mac OS X, would be programmed in another language then. If there was no C, there would just be another language, because you know, ASM is the core one.

But this thread is for John McCarthy, and not anyone else.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: John McCarthy is dead        Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:25 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Pwned wrote:
Darwin, which includes iOS and Mac OS X, would be programmed in another language then. If there was no C, there would just be another language, because you know, ASM is the core one.

But this thread is for John McCarthy, and not anyone else.

Let's finish this, my objection is that we can't put together people that created something that is modern technology more or less based on with Jobs. Someone can agree, someone not.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: John McCarthy is dead        Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:22 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Arch Linux, Windows 8, OS X 10.8
I've pretty much gone over Steve Jobs' death.

Yes, he was a great man, yes he made the GUI, but he got too carried away and made junk crap like the iPhone and iPad. I'm sorry, but that's not innovation or reinvention. He reinvented the music player with the click wheel iPod, I can give him thumbs up for that.

But ah, Android gets released as an operating system in 2008. Apparently to Stevey, it's a "stolen product". Oh boo hoo hoo! (inb4flutterwry/greyfluttershy to the bronies. Sorry, non-ponies!) If Android is stolen, then so is Symbian, MeeGo, BlackBerry OS and Windows Phone. Wish I didn't buy my iPod touch and bought a HTC tablet when they came out. And the iPhone-obsessed guys out there (like with a REAL obsession) say "no viruzes" of course there can be viruses for iOS, it's that Apple watches what goes through their proprietary store like it's a never-growing newborn baby.

My Apple rant aside - R.I.P John McCarthy. LISP seems pretty interesting - I'ma look it up now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: John McCarthy is dead        Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:20 am 
Donator

Offtopic Comment
@Windows XP,
Junk crap? Without the first iPhone, there wouldn't be multi-touch based Android, etc. Before iOS touch phones contained a stylus OR they were not multi-touch.

Secondly, look at this:
See the iPad 2 is leading? Well, this image was created long before the iPhone 4S release, so now we can say that iPhone 4S beats GL performance of other currently released devices, as it uses the same A5 CPU.

To end my post, I would like to ask you, why you post about Jobs in McCarthy topic? You want to flamewar? Then go create a iPhone vs. anything topic somewhere else.

Top  Profile