BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 40d, 0h, 41m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 4689MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:22 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
linuxlove wrote:
You seem to have broken backspace support in this build

Yeah, i needed to disable some keys because it got buggy with the input. Backspace and ESC will return in next build :P

linuxlove wrote:
Do you really need 2-3 different commands to do the same thing? Might be better to have one command and let the user map the command to something they'd be familiar to use, like:
Code:
map "cls" "clear"

Yeah, another good idea... Though... i don't have a clue how to do it right now but some day in some buid... xD

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:48 pm 

Favourite OS
windows 7
Good news: i've finally managed to make use of input, added some basic commands, more will come soon. Here's a screen shot:
(click the image for a good view... you know - the uploader likes to mess with PNGs sometimes)

Bad news: this brings a lot of new bugs... so no public build today. I hope tomorrow i will be able to release something umm... bigger. :P[/quote]
thank you for answering my question!
I am waiting for your project !

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:11 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.6.7
I'm trying to follow the operating system tutorial you mentioned above, but I can't for the life of me get a working copy of dos with DEBUG.EXE working. I got it working on a cd, but not on a floppy, and you can't write to a cd while in use. How did you get your's to work? What version of dos did you use?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:19 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 6.05.3718.0
fzajac wrote:
Yeah, another good idea... Though... i don't have a clue how to do it right now but some day in some buid... xD

why not put it in INI file
and make your CLI read there if unknown command is executed
and if its on list, it just follows it through to mapped one

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:46 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Exothermal wrote:
I'm trying to follow the operating system tutorial you mentioned above, but I can't for the life of me get a working copy of dos with DEBUG.EXE working. I got it working on a cd, but not on a floppy, and you can't write to a cd while in use. How did you get your's to work? What version of dos did you use?

Umm, IMO you can ignore two first lessons. Sure, there is some important theory to read but don't do all that stuff with DEBUG.EXE. Later, instead of using DEBUG.EXE, use software like WinImage, it allows (in Pro version) to edit the floppy image's boot sector. Just replace it with your compile. :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:56 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Missed me? ;) The project has been resumed, new build has been released. For download and further informations please go here: http://fzos.iamstupid.eu/ :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:52 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Hello everyone,
i know it's rather a big bump but i wanted to know if there's still any interest in FZ/OS... I have had a new build with FAT12 file system support and some other new features on my computer for more than a month. I just need to fix some bugs, clean the code and i could release it.

So, is anyone still interested in testing my OS?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:40 pm 
Donator

fzajac wrote:
Hello everyone,
i know it's rather a big bump but i wanted to know if there's still any interest in FZ/OS... I have had a new build with FAT12 file system support and some other new features on my computer for more than a month. I just need to fix some bugs, clean the code and i could release it.

I am.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:56 pm 
Donator

fzajac wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am interested too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:06 pm 
Donator

I messed around with echo:
Code:
echo lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

And then the error in the picture happened. After this, none of the other commands work; FZ/OS treats them as an invalid command.

If I type in a string longer than the first one, the computer softlocks. If I type in a string that's even longer than that, the machine hard resets.

The next time I tried this, the computer softlocked. I hit the three-finger salute and instead of going to the POST screen, it dropped me into the BIOS Setup?!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:27 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Yeah, it's an old bug occuring in, i think, all released builds (the build you've downloaded has been compiled on 5th July and released on 13th July), maybe except the very first one. It occurs when the input is longer than 40 characters. I already fixed it (by not letting the input be longer than 40 characters) so you won't experience this error in the milestone 1 final compilation that i will release soon ;)

I'd recommend reading the readme next time.

And i honestly have no idea why it lead you to BIOS setup O___o

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:08 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
AMI BIOS
I typed 40 "L" letters and it gave me ""lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll(...)lllllreboot" is not a valid command"

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:00 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
OK, i am stupid (hence the domain name :P). It breaks starting at 40 letters. So commands up to 39 letters only are OK.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:56 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Just wanted to show ya current progress:

Milestone 1 Final build will be released soon. Needs just few bug fixes and some code re-writes :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:29 pm 

looks nice, i will try it soon. will it work on 64bit-computers?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
If by 64bit-computers you mean the x86-64 (amd64) architecture that almost all home users use today then yes it works. However it doesn't take any advantage of 64-bit mode. Not even 32-bit. It's 16-bit real mode operating system. But yes, it should work on probably any modern PC. On the other hand, i advise you to use a PC emulator, like Microsoft VirtualPC, Bochs, VirtualBox, or VMWare products (Player/Workstation/Server) :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7, Debian Squeeze
cool stuff! it works in my own emulator.

i can assume by the last pic that it does not use BIOS calls to print to the screen...

do you plan to add multitasking?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:16 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
miker00lz wrote:
i can assume by the last pic that it does not use BIOS calls to print to the screen...

I am using BIOS calls, just not the INT=10h, AH=0Eh. Instead i am using INT=10h, AH=09h (write character) + INT=10h, AH=02h (move cursor) + INT=10h, AH=06h (scroll when it comes to the next line). It takes more time and space to code but i have more control over what is taken from the keyboard and how is it displayed on the screen. Also, i have such possibilities as skipping the bottom line while scrolling (the InfoBar thing).

miker00lz wrote:

Honestly, i never thought about it... it's my first, small project when it comes to ASM and operating systems. I'm not saying no, let's just wait and see how far i will get with it ;)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
A MAJOR UPDATE, Milestone 1 Final build out now!

fzos.iamstupid.eu is down now, so i have uploaded the Milestone 1 Final build (yes, it's out finally!) to MediaFire. Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?bfm3e31r48szymz :) The archive includes kernel file, testapp file, readme file, floppy image, and CD image (done by inserting floppy image as the bootsector).

Also, i have created Facebook fanpage (just for the lulz, to see if anyone in fact "likes it" xD): http://www.facebook.com/pages/FZOS-Fili ... 3962583673

Happy testing, enjoy! :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:57 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
AMI BIOS
Great! I will test it, as soon, as I return from school. It is interesting, how far you did with this.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7, Debian Squeeze
fzajac wrote:
miker00lz wrote:

I am using BIOS calls, just not the INT=10h, AH=0Eh. Instead i am using INT=10h, AH=09h (write character) + INT=10h, AH=02h (move cursor) + INT=10h, AH=06h (scroll when it comes to the next line). It takes more time and space to code but i have more control over what is taken from the keyboard and how is it displayed on the screen. Also, i have such possibilities as skipping the bottom line while scrolling (the InfoBar thing).

miker00lz wrote:

Honestly, i never thought about it... it's my first, small project when it comes to ASM and operating systems. I'm not saying no, let's just wait and see how far i will get with it ;)

ah, that's right i forgot about the single character call! well, anyway your OS definitely is a good start. man, just start working on being able to load any binary from the disk, and have some kernel system calls applications can make (file I/O will get tricky), and you've got a nice little functional operating system here. good work.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:38 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
miker00lz wrote:
just start working on being able to load any binary from the disk, and have some kernel system calls applications can make (file I/O will get tricky), and you've got a nice little functional operating system here. good work.

Thanks for your support. Fully functional EXECUTE command and API for writing applications - that's what will come very soon (highest priority :P). Last night i also had the idea how i could code some pseudo-multitasking so i might be getting somewhere... :D

And BTW i have to ask: How does the newest build of FZ/OS (the yesterday's M1F) act in newest fake86? I'm not sure if i have the up-to-date version (since fake86's website seems to be down from here) but it doesn't work for me (due to lack of 80x50 support and some FAT12 bug i suppose)...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:11 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98
Amazing and interesting Project! :D

Suggestion: Can you add support for 386/286 EXEs or COM executables? I can make some 286 DOS Executables for you if you want.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: FZ/OS - my own attempt to write an operating system        Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:17 pm 
FTP Access

Just wanted to add a note of thanks for this project again - You literally inspired me to have a go at knocking up my own little silly sample OS which I found immensely enjoyable as something I'd "always wanted to do".
Even something as basic as what I made... There's something incredibly satisfying about watching a machine boot something from a disk/cd and seeing it running knowing there is nothing else running but what you typed yourself.

Top  Profile