BetaArchive Logo
Archive Size: 9.44TB (8.58TiB) in N/A files
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 10d, 2h, 39m | CPU: 23% | MEM: 5186MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:49 pm 
FTP Access

This topic is intended to provide a quick-reference list of all the main beta and release versions of Mac OS X, along with a few notes on them and how what hardware or emulators you need to run each version on.

Rhapsody Developer Release 1
-- Beta
-- Basically NeXTSTEP with Apple's name on it
-- Available for PowerPC and Intel (works with limited success in VMware, can work well on some PCs from around the time it was made, old IBM ThinkPads work especially well with it)

Rhapsody Developer Release 2
-- Updated beta release of DR1, see above

Mac OS X Server 1.0
-- Retail, server edition only
-- Does not have Aqua interface, this is basically the release version of Rhapsody, although was not a big seller before what we know now as OS X was launched
-- Can only be run on supported PowerPC Macs

Mac OS X Server 1.2
-- Retail, updated version of the above

Mac OS X Developer Preview 1, 2, 3, 4
-- Beta
-- DP1 and 2 did not have Aqua and were similar to Rhapsody and OS X Server 1.x, while DP3 and 4 introduced Aqua

Mac OS X Public Beta (beta, was publicly available)
-- Beta, publicly available through retail channels for a reduced price though, which was then given back as a discount on 10.0 when released
-- Can only be run on supported PowerPC Macs, date also needs to be set back as this build has an expiry date

Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah
-- Retail, first released version of what most people would recognise as OS X
-- Releases from hereon in are all available as both client and server editions

Mac OS X 10.1 Puma
-- First version which can be run in the PearPC emulator of the PowerPC processor on a PC, 10.1-10.4 can be used
-- Very similar to 10.0 with a cheap/free upgrade for 10.0 users offered, 10.0 is often seen as a second public beta

Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar
-- First version where the cat codename was used on the packaging and in marketing materials

Mac OS X 10.3 Panther
-- First version to require at least a PowerPC G3 processor (all versions of OS X were only supported on G3 or higher but 10.0-10.2 could be made to run on some older machines too)

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
-- Originally released for PowerPC only but subsequently released for Intel too. 10.4.1 is available as a pre-installed VMware image from Apple's Developer Transition Kit machine, while 10.4.4 was the first version available publicly for Intel machines. Intel versions are available either as grey "OEM" discs though or hacked versions, the retail discs are PowerPC-only (except 10.4.7 Server which was a Universal retail DVD).

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
-- First version which will not run on PowerPC G3 Macs
-- First version available only on DVD, not CD
-- First version that did not offer Classic Mode for running OS 9 applications
-- Fully Universal for PowerPC G4/G5 and Intel machines
-- First version since 10.0 which does not run in PearPC as far as I know
-- Supported in VMware for Mac, code-sharing between Mac and Windows version means it is easy to run virtualised on a PC too despite being unlicensed
-- Retail DVDs can be installed on PCs as well as hacked versions when using the "Boot-132" method

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
-- First Mac OS version since System 7.1 which will not run on any PowerPC machine
-- Supported in VMware for Mac, code-sharing between Mac and Windows version means it is easy to run virtualised on a PC too despite being unlicensed
-- Retail DVDs can be installed on PCs as well as hacked versions when using the "Boot-132" method

Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion"
-- First Mac OS X to not include Rosetta at all
-- First Mac OS X to be 64-bit only.
-- Mac OS X Server integrated into regular client
-- Download only via App Store

OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion"
-- Requires 2GB of RAM to install
-- First OS X to be referred to as "OS X" instead of Mac OS X

OS X 10.9 "Mavericks"
-- First OS X to break the cat name in favor of a place in California
-- Integrates many parts of iOS into the software, creating new look
-- Free to all users of Snow Leopard or higher

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:10 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64 Ult. 7601
Nice list off. Would really wish I could hack the pearpc to make public beta run.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:35 am 
Donator

Tell me about it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:09 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.9
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
-- Beta

Not quite. It did have the apple bar already and the platinum theme. But other than that, it's pretty much OPENSTEP.

Offtopic Comment
Why on earth did they call it "OPENSTEP" instead of OpenSTEP or even better, OpenStep?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:22 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7\Slackware
This is a cool list, maybe add some screen shots though?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:37 pm 
Donator

Public Beta Screenshot
About This Mac Screenshot, Including Build Number.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Just wondering, why aren't there as many Mac beta leaks as Windows leaks? Is it just the interest for Apple is down? :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:41 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7\Slackware
Probably because the compatability hardware wise, also user99672 is that in pearpc or not, if so a tutorial would be nice :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:02 pm 
Donator

effy11 wrote:
Probably because the compatability hardware wise, also user99672 is that in pearpc or not, if so a tutorial would be nice :D

I have no [censored] clue if that's from PearPC or not. I found it on Google Images. sorry effy11. I have no clue how to get PearPC to work, which is why I created a topic and got our heads cut off for it. I do not have the money to afford a decent x86 emulator for a PowerPC mac and would rather not emulate MacOS over Windows over MacOS, It would be slow as [censored]. That and due to my parents messing with my harddisk, I can't use the normal PearPC

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:18 pm 
FTP Access

It's not from PearPC, it can't run OSX versions that old I'm afraid.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:30 pm 
FTP Access

effy11 wrote:

As it says in the first post, it is impossible to run anything lower than 10.1 in PearPC ;)

Here's 10.1 in PearPC, note old-style spinning beachball and boot screen (the grey Apple logo was introduced with 10.2):

motherboardlove wrote:
Just wondering, why aren't there as many Mac beta leaks as Windows leaks? Is it just the interest for Apple is down? :P

The only Apple beta builds that ever leak are the ones given out to developers at conferences etc, so there aren't all the internal builds and they also give out fewer builds publicly as they do most of their testing internally, they don't do public betas like MS do (apart from the one they did for 10.0).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:52 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.9
Oh yeah, the spiining wheel from Rhapsody, i remember it (now I wanna boot by Rhapsody Machine. Too bad I have no way of transferring files :()

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:22 pm 

Favourite OS
Rhapsody 5.6 (Pele1Q10)
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
-- Beta
-- Available for PowerPC and Intel (works with limited success in VMware, can work well on some PCs from around the time it was made, old IBM ThinkPads work especially well with it)

Rhapsody Developer Release 2
-- Updated beta release of DR1, see above

Seems a bit overly simplified... Rhapsody DR2 was the foundations of the final release and was intended for developers to use to make applications on. Some applications from OPENSTEP can be hacked to run on Rhapsody DR1 (5.0) for Intel, but most apps for Rhapsody DR1 won't run on Rhapsody DR2 (5.1) and later, and apps for Rhapsody DR2 and later won't run on Rhapsody DR1.

The purpose of Rhapsody DR1 was to solve hardware issues and to start the transition from the OPENSTEP APIs (based on Objective C) to Yellow Box APIs (a merger of Objective C and Java), and to start the interface modifications towards those developed in Copland.

But I'm most likely not the best person to ask about summarizing Rhapsody in a few bullet points. :P

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Mac OS X Server 1.0
-- Retail, server edition only
-- Does not have Aqua interface, this is basically the release version of Rhapsody, although was not a big seller before what we know now as OS X was launched

Well, it was sold as a server operating system... and cost about $499.

The only people who had a good reason to run it as a workstation OS were those doing WebObjects development and wanted to use Macs. And back then WebObjects was several thousands of dollars, so the added expense wasn't that bad. Plus you got a limited version of WebObjects 4.0.1 with the OS, so you could teach yourself WebObjects (and start doing development work) with it.

But if you didn't know about any of that, $500 for an OS seemed pretty steep.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:26 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
What's the deal with running Mac Betas? Is it just like Windows Betas where you need to adjust the bios dates to get them to run? Or is it more involved than that?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:06 am 
FTP Access

I could've mentioned this earlier, but since the topic's sort of active again, I'll mention it anyway - Bochs is supposed to be very good at running Rhapsody, I remember trying it but I can't recall my results. What I do recall, though, is that you can get colour, high-res graphics working under Bochs, and that Rhapsody Guru wrote a howto PDF, see this thread (includes PDF, but downloads require registration, you may be able to find it elsewhere).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:24 pm 
FTP Access

bradphipps wrote:
What's the deal with running Mac Betas? Is it just like Windows Betas where you need to adjust the bios dates to get them to run? Or is it more involved than that?

They don't tend to check for a date (a few do, most don't), but they need Mac hardware from around the time they were released, you can't usually run a version of the Mac OS on a Mac that is newer than the OS. As noted in the first post, a lot of them can only be run on real hardware and not in emulators.

moonlit wrote:
I could've mentioned this earlier, but since the topic's sort of active again...

As I mentioned in the first post, I wanted the topic to be Sticky as it's useful information that shouldn't be lost, but I think the permissions must be wring as I don't have the option to make it so - if someone with the right access sees this, please make this one Sticky.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:42 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
bradphipps wrote:

They don't tend to check for a date (a few do, most don't), but they need Mac hardware from around the time they were released, you can't usually run a version of the Mac OS on a Mac that is newer than the OS. As noted in the first post, a lot of them can only be run on real hardware and not in emulators.

Cheers. I'm currently grabbing Snow Leopard Server Beta for a look see so I should be fine.

Still thinking about PearPC for the earlier ones though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:41 am 
FTP Access

Edit: Moved here.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:15 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
I tried to unzip the Snow Leopard Server Developer Build from the BetaArchive server and it said file corrupt/unexpected end of file. I checked the file online compared to what I downloaded and it was identical byte for byte.

Who should I talk to about this?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:31 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7\Slackware
You might have a currupt download I would retry then contact someone.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
effy11 wrote:
You might have a currupt download I would retry then contact someone.

I would but I don't really have the ability to grab 6Gb again! :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:11 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
motherboardlove wrote:

No Microsoft let Build leak because they want it, its a way of advertising, you know. But they do like its not.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:29 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7. I'm so boring
Despite being completely unsupported, discontinued and dead, PearPC is still a great tool for running PowerPC OSes such as OSX on a PC for entertainment/educational purposes.

Yup.. :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:06 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
According to my older sister, there is a build of Rhapsody that will run on x86 architecture.

Is this true?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X - list of betas/releases and information        Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:58 pm 
Donator

Asuyuka wrote:
According to my older sister, there is a build of Rhapsody that will run on x86 architecture.

Is this true?

Yes, Rhapsody DR1 & 2.

Top  Profile