BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 13d, 17h, 57m | CPU: 8% | MEM: 6546MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:10 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Everone's favorite comes from experience, some maxtor, other samsung, other hitachi, other seagate, or other brands.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:45 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I think it’s just a bad batch to be honest from what you say, I use Segates in all the pc’s I build and had only one fail in the last 8 years *touch wood*

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:17 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Gahhhh!!! Another one failed today!!! This time a Maxtor 160GB PATA drive. Damn pieces of crap! Time to send that one back for replacement now too. I'm cursed, I swear!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP x64 Edition
DjRob wrote:
Never had any problem with Seagate harddrives.
though there is a speed difference between the 1tb and 1.5tb drives.

Which one is the faster?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:54 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
1.5tb (it reads/writes, about 10~15 mb/s faster).

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP x64 Edition
DjRob wrote:
1.5tb (it reads/writes, about 10~15 mb/s faster).

Ok good then I got the 1.5tb. Thanks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:41 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Yet another disk failure 8-)

One of the Samsung F1 1TB disks. However, I don't think it is a failure as such, since we also have the exact same errors on the BA USB disk at the moment, plus the disk is also operating at full speed still. The problem is, it causes random system lockups when connected, and I don't know why. My only option is to get a replacement by the look of it.

We'll be getting the new USB disk some time next week too with any luck. Myself and mrpijey are looking into why this has happened to both the BA USB disk and my previous betas disk, as the errors were to similar to be coincidence. I'll keep you informed of any progress we make.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:05 pm 

Favourite OS
Dancing Banana
Are you sure there is not some problem with the machine :P

You have more failures this month than I have had ever. :mrgreen:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:09 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I seriously doubt the machine would cause bad sectors ;)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:58 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
LH Build 4074
The machine wouldn't cause the disks to fail.

Andy, I highly recommend Samsung disks. They're great and extremely reliable. Toshibas are also to consider. I have one for school, and it's never had problems for me. ;)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:03 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Link Tamake wrote:
The machine wouldn't cause the disks to fail.

Andy, I highly recommend Samsung disks. They're great and extremely reliable. Toshibas are also to consider. I have one for school, and it's never had problems for me. ;)

You fail to have read the rest of the topic ;) I already have 4 Samsung disks. 1 of which failed last week but I am putting that down to something else that happened with BA's USB drive as it stored the same files and both developed the same error.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
LH Build 4074
Oh. Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:37 pm 
Donator

In my HP Laptop, I have a 80gb 2.5 Inch Hitachi Harddisk, been working or about 5 years (until the power failed and the battery was dead while formatting.) Now, I have a 10mb FAT32 partition and a 79.9 GB partition that I can't fix (out of blank CDs for making bootdisks.) I would recommend any Hitachi Drive, I actually have 4 Western Digital usb drives right now that have been going for years.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:22 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98SE
Western Digital is a pretty good brand. I have a 300GB Western Digital 2.5'' hard disk in my laptop, pretty smooth.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:25 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 Pro x64
James wrote:
Western Digital is a pretty good brand. I have a 300GB Western Digital 2.5'' hard disk in my laptop, pretty smooth.

Well my 2 year old WD external 1TB drive has eventually kicked it

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:26 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98SE
Externals dont last very long. Internal drives last ages.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:17 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 9200
My old maxtor 160G hdd still working on my computer with windows7 :D
and Seagate becomes the worst brand in Hard disk now? I don't know.

Top  Profile  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:32 pm 
FTP Access

My problem was with disc drives. LG can't read CDs and reads DVDs with read errors, another LG can't read CDs and I'm now with a nicely working Samsung. (these defects where lens cleaning won't help)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:57 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
MS DOS 7.1
I don't remember what drive i have in here!?
Its 149gb.... so very tiny although not as small as some of the old 1.4gb and 3.5gb card i have on my shelf.
I have a load of old hard drives that are still working ^^ .

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:19 pm 

Favourite OS
Dancing Banana
I slipped on stairs and me and laptop went flying to wood floor below. Bang hdd dead.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:50 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS 7
I am not sure this is relevant to your issues Andy;

There was a round of firmware updates a while ago ....
my mate had me flash all of his 1Tb Seagates ...
there were issues the drives would get dropped out of RAID sets ....

otherwise ... no particular issues with Seagates ...

I have had various drives go bad over the yrs ... usually with a lot of time on them ...

mine usually fail due to clumsy handling on my part .... :cry: dropping them or setting one down to hard on a desk .... still installed in a PC when I chuck it 10 M to the concrete ...

If you can't prove it didn't happen then it must be true and you are probably part of the cover-up.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:05 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Seagate have more issues than bad firmware. They have gone hugely down hill over the last few years, and as a result I've had 5 failures in just a few short months, and I will now no longer let any of my friends buy Seagate or recommend them to anyone. I'm not the only one to have issues either as another friend of mine had 2 of his 500GB Seagates fail too (firmware in this case), the same models that I had fail on me (but not firmware related), and another friend had a 250GB fail, and another had a 1TB fail. Seagate just isn't what they used to be. I used to swear by them and Maxtor, and often Western Digital too, but now its Samsung all the way.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:20 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Seagate 250GB slim died on me after a few month

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:25 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS 7
Andy wrote:
Seagate have more issues than bad firmware. They have gone hugely down hill over the last few years, and as a result I've had 5 failures in just a few short months, and I will now no longer let any of my friends buy Seagate or recommend them to anyone. I'm not the only one to have issues either as another friend of mine had 2 of his 500GB Seagates fail too (firmware in this case), the same models that I had fail on me (but not firmware related), and another friend had a 250GB fail, and another had a 1TB fail. Seagate just isn't what they used to be. I used to swear by them and Maxtor, and often Western Digital too, but now its Samsung all the way.

Ouch .....

when I built my system last Nov. I mirrored 2 500gb HD and a 1Tb for installs and data ... the 1 Tb is a Samsung I cannot remember the 500s, but i do have a 750 Seagate thats is in an external case that is over 2 yrs old .... :wink: guess I got lucky

my mate was sweating bullets, when his started to drop in his drobo .... i flashed them, he put them back in and has been ok for 6 months now .... I will definately be looking elsewere for hard drives

If you can't prove it didn't happen then it must be true and you are probably part of the cover-up.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Another failure. What is it with me and hard drives?!        Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:49 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP Professional VLK
Why do Seagate ate Maxtor at the first place? That was insane! And soon Seagate had (or is he still having) his indigestion, huh? Long time ago Maxtor ate Quantum, but how did he miss the indigestion? Before that I trust only Maxtor HDD but after that i only trust Western Digital. My Maxtor 5T020H2 works from 2001 to 2007 without any kinda failure and I let him retire with honor. About SAMGSUNG HDD, I had a SV0411N model, it failed to start several times because of the freezing weather until I heat him up by blowing its motor using a hair dryer XD. Until now it still needs to boot twice in order to start. Now in my computer I have Maxtor 6Y080LO + WD6400AAKS black. Some mobile USB disks are Maxtor band. Eletronic storange device is less capable than winchester structure because of its life of writable units.

Top  Profile