BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 40d, 12h, 54m | CPU: 8% | MEM: 4695MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:34 pm 
Donator

It's Win2k SP1 code that MS gave to MainSoft. Remember this was from MainSoft, the company that ported Win32 applications, so there would only be the shell code and base kernel code. This code was only designed for reference though that's why it seems uncompilable.

EDIT: Note the "Seems", I compiled it and migrated it into my Windows Server 2003 build tree.

Last edited by Kenneth on Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2K sp4/Linux Mint
@fzajac: Ok :) Didt read through the whole topic before now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:39 am 
Donator

There are some really nice code bits that were disabled during compile, I'll give you some: \nt\private\ntos\init\init.c and \nt\private\windows\setup\textmode\winnt\setup.c

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:08 am 
FTP Access

Have you found out about the secret /I_am_TedM switch of WINNT.EXE, yet? It enables you to use the text-mode setup under Windows. It was meant to be a debug switch to be able to test WINNT's functionality but never removed it, it's even in Windows XP's setup routine. But since Vista uses a totally different approach, they removed Ted Miller's legacy :o

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:40 pm 
Donator

Tilka wrote:
Have you found out about the secret /I_am_TedM switch of WINNT.EXE, yet? It enables you to use the text-mode setup under Windows. It was meant to be a debug switch to be able to test WINNT's functionality but never removed it, it's even in Windows XP's setup routine. But since Vista uses a totally different approach, they removed Ted Miller's legacy :o

I know about that, it specifically used this block of code: Ted, you forgot to comment #define TEDM!
Code:
#define TEDM
#ifdef TEDM
BOOLEAN DngAllowNt = FALSE;
#endif
/* ... */
#ifdef TEDM
            case 'i':
            case 'I':
                if(!stricmp(argv[0]+1,"I_am_TedM")) {
                    argv++;
                    DngAllowNt = TRUE;
                    continue;
                }
#endif
/* ...*/
#ifdef TEDM
        cmp     DngAllowNt,1
        je      checkflop
#endif

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:53 am 
Donator

Fun fact: MS uses GNU Perl to help build Windows's build tags. Here's my version of set_build_date.pl:

Code:
File contents: BUILDDATE=090912-2349
Modifying build date in W:\__blddate__...

Variables are:
Code:
USERDOMAIN=winmain
USERNAME=officialbuild

Final tag is:
Code:
5.2.3892.1312 (winmain(officialbuild).090912-2349)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:35 am 
Donator

Note that the NT4 code contains the Windows Entertainment Pack code, Source Library Manager v1.8 code, Service Pack Updater code, NTDLL code and Full Win32 Subsystem (Gdi32, User32, Kernel32, Win32k, Csrss, Smss, Winlogon, etc.).

The Windows 2000 code contains the shell code (explorer, iexplore, shell32, comdlg32, shlwapi, etc.), kernel base (rtl, ob, config, cc, ke, etc.), NTDLL code and Partial Win32 Subsystem code (user32, gdi32, kernel32)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:44 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Maemo 5 PR1.3
So, how many things can we enable as previously hidden?
(compiling Windows 2000 source atm, wait a bit)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:42 am 
Donator

Look for #if 0 or #ifdef statements in .c files or look for odd looking code and directories.

But otherwise, I don't know the full number. Let me check.
Quote:
Windows 2000 Source Code
------------------------
Total number of lines : 8639925
/* Note that this number represents code that takes up less space but has more lines of code */

Windows NT Source
-----------------
Total number of lines : 1767290
/* Note that this number represents code that takes up more space but has less lines of code */

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:55 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4044
Windows OCManage,

Your personal implementation of Razzle reminded me of the reference in early Longhorn builds. Forgive me if you have already covered this or been asked at some point through this thread, but in leaked build 4033 (I think it leaked, at least... lol), and other 403x builds I have here, there is a folder in the root of the ISO called, "VIEWER_SETUP". It's got a number of command-line scripts, a VBS script and a readme that says, "CreateStandAloneInstall.cmd has to be run from a Razzle window".

Seeing it as I've never been able to touch a Razzle environment, I didn't know if you could do something with that or see what, exactly, it all does ("CreateStandAloneInstall does indeed sound self-evident, but you never know to what extent). If you'd like, I can up that directory somewhere for you to check out. Alternately, if 4033 is on the BA server or something, you could probably nab it from there and check it out.

Of course, this is all assuming you've either not seen this/dealt with it in some capacity yet. :cool:

-Stephen

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:00 am 
Donator

ReflectiaX wrote:
Windows OCManage,

Your personal implementation of Razzle reminded me of the reference in early Longhorn builds. Forgive me if you have already covered this or been asked at some point through this thread, but in leaked build 4033 (I think it leaked, at least... lol), and other 403x builds I have here, there is a folder in the root of the ISO called, "VIEWER_SETUP". It's got a number of command-line scripts, a VBS script and a readme that says, "CreateStandAloneInstall.cmd has to be run from a Razzle window".

Seeing it as I've never been able to touch a Razzle environment, I didn't know if you could do something with that or see what, exactly, it all does ("CreateStandAloneInstall does indeed sound self-evident, but you never know to what extent). If you'd like, I can up that directory somewhere for you to check out. Alternately, if 4033 is on the BA server or something, you could probably nab it from there and check it out.

Of course, this is all assuming you've either not seen this/dealt with it in some capacity yet. :cool:

-Stephen

I assume VIEWER_SETUP is a folder on the D:\ (sources drive, maps to SourceDepot) lying in the FreeBins.4033\x86fre folder. RAZZLE is also another word for the SetEnv command in the DDK, the only difference is that Razzle maps to SourceDepot for Libs, Hs, Code, etc.

EX: Both the DDK and Razzle use the environment variable SDK_INC_PATH, for the DDK it is:
Code:
SDK_INC_PATH=C:\WinDDK\6000\INC\API

But for Razzle it is:
Code:
SDK_INC_PATH=D:\win7\public\sdk\inc

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:14 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4044
Windows OCManage wrote:
RAZZLE is also another word for the SetEnv command in the DDK, the only difference is that Razzle maps to SourceDepot for Libs, Hs, Code, etc.

EX: Both the DDK and Razzle use the environment variable SDK_INC_PATH, for the DDK it is:
Code:
SDK_INC_PATH=C:\WinDDK\6000\INC\API

But for Razzle it is:
Code:
SDK_INC_PATH=D:\win7\public\sdk\inc

A simple yet enlightening revelation, indeed. =) Thanks for the info.

-Stephen

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:18 am 
Donator

If you need to know anymore PM me or post here.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:24 am 
Donator

Namronia wrote:
Windows OCManage wrote:
I found the Original NT OS/2 Logo! (razzle.ico recovered)

Thats very interesting, I didnt thought we were ever going to see anything from NT OS2.

Btw, about the Icons, theres something else I found that kinda funny:

Its located in private\windows\shell\winver.

"What the ... is "Zoso"?!", well, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppel ... he_symbols , I like it that MS likes good music... :P

Offtopic Comment
Double post here, sorry, but Namronia, the actual one that liked Led Zepplin would be good old MS worker: Toddla.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:08 pm 
FTP Access

This is exciting indeed. As a windows 2000 user I find this exciting. I hope when you are finished you will release it.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:14 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Maemo 5 PR1.3
I'm trying to compile the 2003 source right now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:32 pm 
FTP Access

I assume you obtained the 2003 source the legal way? Or has it leaked?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:53 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Maemo 5 PR1.3
Tilka wrote:

Windows Research Kernel.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:10 pm 
FTP Access

Tilka wrote:

You are a downer :P

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:40 pm 
Donator

PortalCake wrote:
Tilka wrote:

Windows Research Kernel.

Hey, I have more!

I have the HALs, bootloader, and user apps! :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:56 pm 
FTP Access

When finished are you going to release the recompiled version of windows 2000?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:19 pm 
Donator

Hey, it's a slow process! I have to regenerate all of the private headers for everything.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:54 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP x64 Edition
Windows OCManage wrote:
Note that the NT4 code contains the Windows Entertainment Pack code, Source Library Manager v1.8 code, Service Pack Updater code, NTDLL code and Full Win32 Subsystem (Gdi32, User32, Kernel32, Win32k, Csrss, Smss, Winlogon, etc.).

The Windows 2000 code contains the shell code (explorer, iexplore, shell32, comdlg32, shlwapi, etc.), kernel base (rtl, ob, config, cc, ke, etc.), NTDLL code and Partial Win32 Subsystem code (user32, gdi32, kernel32)

So can anyone port the wonderful Entertainment Pack to 32-bit? :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:00 pm 
Donator

It is 32-bit.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT Source Compiled!        Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:06 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP x64 Edition
Windows OCManage wrote:
It is 32-bit.

What games does it include? I am referring to this

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next