BetaArchive Logo
Archive Size: 9.37TB (8.52TiB) in N/A files
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 0h, 7m | CPU: 35% | MEM: 4119MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:26 pm 
Donator

Some guy "Тихий", which means "The Silent One" in Russian, made a program that natively enables the Start Menu on Windows 8 RTM. The same person ported the Windows 7 explorer.exe to Windows 8 a while ago. A beta was released, though it's time limited, so I patched it and made an easy-to-use installer. PM me for a link to it.

Advantages:
- Brings back Start Menu
- Native
- Integrates into Shell permanently
- No use of clunky services or drivers
- Original Microsoft Start Menu
- Disables Metro (as an option)

Disadvantages:
- Bugs in the configuration panel
- Currently installs only on one user account at a time

Last edited by Pwned on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Sigma OS 3, Win8 RP WM-Edition
This is just great!
Original menu, nothing less nothing more,.. ok, ok maybe something more :)

I want to ask you something Pwned.
I see that this software is locked to Win8 RTM, can you make this to work on build 8400?

,thanks and I hope x64 version will come soon!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:01 pm 
Donator

maxtorix wrote:
This is just great!
Original menu, nothing less nothing more,.. ok, ok maybe something more :)

I want to ask you something Pwned.
I see that this software is locked to Win8 RTM, can you make this to work on build 8400?

,thanks and I hope x64 version will come soon!

This is not my program, and I don't develop it. But from I looked at the code, it's tied to 9200. Though as 8400 isn't THAT different from 9200, it may work.
Worth trying on 8400 x86 (manual installation). I'll test it one day.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:23 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
Well this is definitely nice. I'll definitely use this if I ever decide to upgrade to Windows 8 (which won't be any time soon though).

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:41 pm 
Donator

The x64 build has been fixed. Testers, check your PMs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:45 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
Any plans to make non-English versions of this too?

PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:20 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Battler wrote:

Is automatically translated 'on your language' how developer says.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:15 pm 

Favourite OS
Beta 1 is up on MSFN

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:16 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 8
Pwned wrote:
Some guy "Тихий", which means "The Silent One" in Russian, made a program that natively enables the Start Menu on Windows 8 RTM. The same person ported the Windows 7 explorer.exe to Windows 8 a while ago. A beta was released, though it's time limited, so I patched it and made an easy-to-use installer. PM me for a link to it.

Advantages:
- Brings back Start Menu
- Native
- Integrates into Shell permanently
- No use of clunky services or drivers
- Original Microsoft Start Menu
- Disables Metro (as an option)

Disadvantages:
- Bugs in the configuration panel
- Currently installs only on one user account at a time

Hey Pwned, I cannot PM you for some reason for that link. Can you send it to me via PM please?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:04 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Cali4niaWK wrote:
Hey Pwned, I cannot PM you for some reason for that link. Can you send it to me via PM please?

New users are not permitted to use PM's to prevent spam. Once you have 3 posts you can use the PM system.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:31 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 8
That explains it. Spent 30 min. trying to figure that out. Thanks Andy & Pwned for the PM on the program. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:24 pm 

Nice work! Is this the most current version (I think it's beta one now)?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:13 am 
Donator

Two lefts and a diagonal sidestep from where you are.

Favourite OS
Windows 8 Release Preview 8400
ace2 wrote:
Say "thanks" to Pwned@BetaArchive for not being able to test this version. Next public version won't come until i create proper protection system.

My grandmother used to code in Fortran back in the days of punch cards.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:53 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
maxtorix wrote:
Battler wrote:

Is automatically translated 'on your language' how developer says.

But doesn't that only work if you use the English version of Windows with a MUI pack on? I don't think it will work if you use a fully localized version of Windows. I might be wrong, though.

PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:44 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
Actually, from what I can see, I think that the Start Menu is somehow hidden in Windows 8, and that this just reenables it, especially since with Metro disabled completely, the Start Menu will once again appear, as Ahmed Nefzaoui pointed out a while ago (or at least that was true of the Developer Preview/Build 8102, anyway).

If that's the case, and no code is actually added to Windows 8, then obviously, the language would just depend on the Windows 8 installation being used, and would not have anything to do with the program itself.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:50 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Chinese version tested and worked

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:20 pm 
Donator

Tihiy wrote:
Beta 1 is up on MSFN

Stay with your favorite RLPack 1.21 if you want. Some antiviruses will detect it and someone (if not me) would still be able to "crack" it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:29 pm 

Favourite OS
Oh wait, you didn't actually crack beta 1? I'm sorry then for all the commotion i caused. I thought beta 1 was cracked the day it was released so it upset me.
I don't have grudge on you or betaarchive, i'm beta lover myself and was a member of OSBetaArchive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:00 am 
FTP Access

WinPC wrote:
Actually, from what I can see, I think that the Start Menu is somehow hidden in Windows 8, and that this just reenables it, especially since with Metro disabled completely, the Start Menu will once again appear, as Ahmed Nefzaoui pointed out a while ago (or at least that was true of the Developer Preview/Build 8102, anyway).

If that's the case, and no code is actually added to Windows 8, then obviously, the language would just depend on the Windows 8 installation being used, and would not have anything to do with the program itself.

Oh no. The Start Menu used to be hidden. It no longer is. The code for the Start Menu was removed in the Pre-Beta builds. ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:53 am 

Favourite OS
Also as a gift for Beta lovers, i'm planning to release StartIsBack unlimited free for Windows 8 Release Preview only.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:09 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
prayaas1998 wrote:
WinPC wrote:

Oh no. The Start Menu used to be hidden. It no longer is. The code for the Start Menu was removed in the Pre-Beta builds. ;)

That cannot be true. Who show to the world process of deleting start menu code from the Windows main code? -Nobody! So, how much someone it is a expert in some area and what he told us something, - that it is not a proof of the real situation on the field.

We can consider this as a Microsoft's reserve plan for а dark times, because I consider Moder UI or Metro how you want as Second environment over standard desktop with new applications that carried out the same job. Situation close to that to install TabletPC 2005 on Desktop and use the keyboard from desktop - equal s h i t.

However Tihiy found that Microsoft's version of the story for deleting the start menu code was one very big lie. And he on the begging start to finding a way to port-next Windows 7 Explorer.exe to Windows 8, but going on that way was too slow and has now happy ending. However in the middle time he saw that the biggest part of start menu is already here, and depending on the his earlier project he found a way to activate, extended and re-register the code of original start menu in Windows 8.

Looking of the side of the future developing and graphic experience the same faith has Windows Mail and Start menu in Windows 8. They has new build number given automatically like all other files in Windows but that is all. I want to say Windows Mail already two years till now has no have any changes even has the old branding from Vista but with build number of RTM 9200. Start menu staid the same from Windows 7 or probably Windows Beta build 7979, and in that form was only hidden from the users because they know that it is a slippery floor, and how I said above they left the code for dark times.

Last edited by maxtorix on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:22 am 
FTP Access

Ohkay, that's good. I didn't know it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:50 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
maxtorix wrote:
That cannot be true. Who show to the world process of deleting start menu code from the Windows main code? -Nobody! So, how much someone it is a expert in some area and what he told us something, - that it is not a proof of the real situation on the field.

Of course it can be true. It's probably not, and I'll explain why in a minute, but it's entirely possible that Microsoft could chose to delete the code and someone else can independently verify it. After all, you yourself go on to say that Tihiy found Microsoft hadn't deleted much of the code. He almost certainly discovered this without access to the source - It's called reverse engineering, and it's something you'd do well to get to grips with the basics of.

Ultimately though, though they may have deleted some parts, they were never going to delete *everything*, or realistically, even the majority of it. They need to continue supporting Start Menu APIs. It's likely that these will have some fundamental dependencies on a fair portion of the start menu code. They could probably stub all these references out and redirect where necessary, but that's more work than is necessary. Windows 8 was a short project, they will have had heavy time constraints for this stuff. Add this to the fact that the UI team is legendary for not cleaning up old stuff - just look how long many of the 3.x-era dialogs were kicking around internally. Indeed, I do believe there are still a lot of resources from this period retained in the name of "backwards compatibility" even today. It's nothing about "dark times" or the other [censored] you came up with. It's about shipping a product in a timely fashion, and that means leaving old stuff buried rather than cleaning up, which takes so much time for so relatively little gain on todays PCs.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:51 pm 
Donator

Tihiy wrote:
Oh wait, you didn't actually crack beta 1? I'm sorry then for all the commotion i caused. I thought beta 1 was cracked the day it was released so it upset me.
I don't have grudge on you or betaarchive, i'm beta lover myself and was a member of OSBetaArchive.

Yeah, RLPack is pretty complicated. It compresses the import table, resources. It also virtualizes CPU instructions, from what I know. Even though it's possible to unpack it, it's a diehard compressor.

Tihiy wrote:
Also as a gift for Beta lovers, i'm planning to release StartIsBack unlimited free for Windows 8 Release Preview only.

That's actually nice. I think all of us beta lovers will appreciate that. :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: StartIsBack by Тихий for Windows 8        Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Pwned wrote:
Tihiy wrote:

Yeah, RLPack is pretty complicated. It compresses the import table, resources. It also virtualizes CPU instructions, from what I know. Even though it's possible to unpack it, it's a diehard compressor.

Tihiy wrote:

That's actually nice. I think all of us beta lovers will appreciate that. :P

Yeah, that will be great! I can finally complete my Windows 8 RP, and begin to use for everyday tasks.

Top  Profile