BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 12d, 0h, 21m | CPU: 10% | MEM: 5561MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: [Question] How may I install Longhorn 4074 in a VM?        Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
iOS 3.1.2
Hey gais,

I was wondering how I could install 4074 in a VirtualBox VM, since i've never tested longhorn before.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Question] How may I install Longhorn 4074 in a VM?        Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:37 pm 
Donator

Just install it. Set the OS type to XP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Question] How may I install Longhorn 4074 in a VM?        Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:53 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
and make sure you use VMware, it's more compatible with Longhorn builds than VirtualBox is.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Question] How may I install Longhorn 4074 in a VM?        Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
iOS 3.1.2
So I installed it, rebooted it and get an odd screen where there is a black line on the top, nothing underneath, and put side by side 20 times. Graphics fault, maybe? I dunno.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Question] How may I install Longhorn 4074 in a VM?        Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:13 pm 
Donator

mycomputerhelp wrote:
So I installed it, rebooted it and get an odd screen where there is a black line on the top, nothing underneath, and put side by side 20 times. Graphics fault, maybe? I dunno.

Yeah, it's a known bug in VirtualBox 4.
Try to blindly install Guest Additions.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Question] How may I install Longhorn 4074 in a VM?        Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:43 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Do not use VirtualBox, really.
Great software, I love it, but it's not good for Longhorn.
You've been lucky to get to install it without troubles, I experienced the graphic bug during install too.
I used QEMU, poor performances, but it works.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Question] How may I install Longhorn 4074 in a VM?        Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:09 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
whistler2296
Try VMware with Workstation 6 or 7 compatibility and it should work fine. Many Whistler and Longhorn builds display terribly in my VirtualBox.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Question] How may I install Longhorn 4074 in a VM?        Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:37 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
iOS 3.1.2
This is a list of VM programs that I have:
VMware Workstation 8
VMware Fusion 4
VirtualBox Linux
Parallels Desktop 7

Would any of them work?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Question] How may I install Longhorn 4074 in a VM?        Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
whistler2296
I have the build in VMware Workstation 8 and works pretty fine. It's OK to keep the compatibility to Workstation 8 but in this mode the installation would boot for a long time, hence I choose lower compatibility mode for it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Question] How may I install Longhorn 4074 in a VM?        Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:19 pm 
Donator

Fanculo (anche conosciuto come Quel Paese)
Just use any VMWare Workstation/Player.
Make sure you don't use SCSI for your VHD.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Question] How may I install Longhorn 4074 in a VM?        Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
iOS 3.1.2
yeah, it took a while to boot and there's no mouse, but who cares?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Question] How may I install Longhorn 4074 in a VM?        Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:54 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
whistler2296
It takes nearly 3 minutes to boot to "Welcome to Windows Setup" with Workstation 8 or 6.5-7.x mode, while only 20 seconds with 6.0 compatibility. Mouse works here in any mode above.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Question] How may I install Longhorn 4074 in a VM?        Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Arch Linux, Win 8.1, OS X 10.9
I'm posting this under Longhorn 4074 inside VMware Workstation 8 (VMware Player's equivalent will do too as VMware Player is pretty much the same without advanced features like Snapshots.)

Make a new VM, call it what you want, set the OS to Windows XP Professional. Disable BIOS date sync because we'll be installing VMware tools, too, but to boot into Longhorn we must change the BIOS date.

As CaptainPeanut said, don't use SCSI for the virtual hard drive connection. VMware defaults to SCSI under Vista and 7 AFAIK, but anything before that defaults to IDE. I did this mistake on a physical machine. Windows XP has the same problem except you can fix it quite easily by slipstreaming SATA drivers.

Do the installation and boot into Longhorn. Make sure your BIOS date isn't sneakily changed by VMware Workstation.
When you've booted into Longhorn, you'll need to get rid of that timebomb (to show correct date). I have a patched Winlogon.exe for said build (by a BA member, unsure who it is) and a file replacer bundled in one ISO if you want it, just ask because I don't think BA will let me post it publicly regarding cracks.

When you've patched it, restart, change your BIOS date to today and boot. Shouldn't boot you off this time. Make a snapshot of this. Very important if you want to go back in time to when you patched it.
Get VMware Tools for Workstation 6 (Workstation 8 drivers will not work) and install as normal. It may take a while because Longhorn is slow at first.

When it's finally installed, make another snapshot, then restart. Again, shouldn't boot you off the desktop and to the login screen. VMware Tools will take a while, but not too long, to prepare itself and, well, work. At first you'll get an error telling you to upgrade VMware Tools, ignore it. VMware Tools in the 4074 VM will show a "No sign" in front of its icon, then will show a caution icon. When it gets to the caution icon, it'll allow you to resize the VM screen.

And you have a near-perfect Longhorn build! This build's version of IE has a download manager that doesn't work (on me) so download Firefox or Opera (Opera is recommended) on the host and drag it to the VM (it will work.) Change the compatibility mode of Opera's installer to Windows XP and you have a perfect browser, too.

Sorry for the long as hell post, too. :P And thank Microsoft Collection Book for the links. An awesome site, I'd say.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Question] How may I install Longhorn 4074 in a VM?        Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:38 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Windows XP wrote:
Make a new VM, call it what you want, set the OS to Windows XP Professional. Disable BIOS date sync because we'll be installing VMware tools, too, but to boot into Longhorn we must change the BIOS date.

Actually, just to point out, this isn't necessary for 4074. In this build, the timebomb is a standard 180-day one, rather than a date-limited one (possibly because it was a public build).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Question] How may I install Longhorn 4074 in a VM?        Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:10 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha 2
1. Don't install it in Oracle VM VirtualBox, the graphics driver will kill it.
2. Windows Longhorn Builds 4074 and after don't need to change the BIOS date. Instead you should figure out how to remove the timebomb, and how to activate it (remove the activation things).
3. Install it in VMWare Workstation 8, it works fine there. Go for it.
4. If you are running x64 version, set the OS to Windows XP Professional x64.
5. Don't install VMWare Tools, it doesn't work for me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Question] How may I install Longhorn 4074 in a VM?        Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:38 pm 
Donator

Fanculo (anche conosciuto come Quel Paese)
mycomputerhelp wrote:
yeah, it took a while to boot and there's no mouse, but who cares?

>Betas take some time to boot
>4074 had a broken mouse driver in the Preinstallation Environment.
>Your sarcasm is disturbing

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Question] How may I install Longhorn 4074 in a VM?        Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
iOS 3.1.2
I got it working (finally!) I managed to get it up in Parallels Desktop 7!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Question] How may I install Longhorn 4074 in a VM?        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:40 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
Personally, in my experience, Microsoft Virtual PC is excellent for older Longhorn builds, not to mention that in that setup, I have run Longhorn successfully, numerous times, yet VMWare doesn't quite work that well, at least not on my system (2.2 Ghz processor with 2 GB of RAM), though hounsell seems to think that VMWare needs a much more powerful system.

In other words, if VMWare works properly on your system, then use that, and if not, then just go with Microsoft Virtual PC.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Question] How may I install Longhorn 4074 in a VM?        Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:51 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
WinPC wrote:
hounsell seems to think that VMWare needs a much more powerful system.

Not a "much more powerful system", just not a total turd.

I've been using VMWare since I had a Sempron 64 and 512MB RAM.

Virtual PC is just far less capable of using greater resources than VMWare, which does the job rather well.

With Longhorn, there's some HAL incompatibilities sometimes - Hit F5 at boot (around where it asks you to hit F6 for additional storage controllers), and you'll be able to select the HAL. "Standard PC" or whatever it is, is most compatible (ie, non-ACPI, non-Multiprocessor). That should get most builds going on even the latest VMWare.

Top  Profile  WWW