BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 8d, 21h, 18m | CPU: 20% | MEM: 6678MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: OEM versions in VPC 2007?        Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:49 pm 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:08 am

Posts
963

Location
Itsukaichi, Japan

Favourite OS
4.10.2222A
Is it possible to run oem versions of windows in virtual pc 2007? if not is it possible in general?

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM        Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:52 pm 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:35 am

Posts
1095

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune Build 5111
Depends on the OEM , Dell for example, only let there install discs install on a dell machine (there are ways round it) but generally yes OEM discs can be used on VPC


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM        Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:54 pm 
Donator
Offline

Joined
Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:31 am

Posts
1323

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 Pro
MegaDragon998 wrote:
Is it possible to run oem versions of windows in virtual pc 2007? if not is it possible in general?


Why not? I installed an OEM version of XP on Virtualbox or VMWare (not sure which one I had back then, now I have Virtualbox). It wouldn't be legal though, even though it was on the same machine *hehe*

Offtopic Comment
The latest Virtual PC is a big downgrade from 2007 one, in terms of ease of use.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM        Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:40 pm 
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sat May 15, 2010 1:59 am

Posts
455

Location
Virginia, North America

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Certain Dell disks are like that, generally much older ones from around 2000 (Read: Windows Me). new toshiba recovery CDs definitely are BIOS locked, as (I think, may not be fact) they launch some kind of executable which checks against the BIOS or something like that.

In reality though, depends on the disk. I have a Windows XP disk that has come with my Dell from ~2003 that is a normal XP disk just with a $_OEM_$ or whatever folder.

_________________
Deus damnaret eam!


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM        Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:35 pm 
Donator
Offline

Joined
Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:02 pm

Posts
5905
As said, it depends on the manufacturer. Some locked their discs to run only on their machines, so for those you'll need a specific emulator... ;)


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM        Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:20 pm 
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:04 am

Posts
1671

Favourite OS
2428
I know Dell XP discs will work on non Dell systems but it will ask for a key during installation.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM        Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:10 pm 
Donator
Online

Joined
Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:28 pm

Posts
4403
If it's a install disc, just with OEM data, then yes, you can. But not if it's an already installed imaged OS (.wim/.gho/.tib files).

_________________
Longhorn Packet 1.21 - Solves most of the problems with Longhorn Setup
[GUIDE] How to dump clean/untouched images from CD discs
Longhorn Music Album (FLAC) | 523.31 MB | 17 tracks | Donators Discussion Forum


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM        Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:22 am 
Donator
Offline

Joined
Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:31 am

Posts
1323

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 Pro
DeFacto wrote:
As said, it depends on the manufacturer. Some locked their discs to run only on their machines, so for those you'll need a specific emulator... ;)


True, my old 95 CD complains that the virtual machine doesn't have an IBM BIOS.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM        Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:21 am 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:08 am

Posts
963

Location
Itsukaichi, Japan

Favourite OS
4.10.2222A
I want to install windows 95 nec pc 9801 and i dont know where in virtual pc or emulator for that machine?

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM        Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:47 pm 
Donator
Offline

Joined
Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:31 am

Posts
1323

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 Pro
MegaDragon998 wrote:
I want to install windows 95 nec pc 9801 and i dont know where in virtual pc or emulator for that machine?


I'd be interested in BIOS emulation too, but I don't even know if IBM or Nec PC BIOSes can be emulated.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM        Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:47 pm 
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sat May 15, 2010 1:59 am

Posts
455

Location
Virginia, North America

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
There are NEC PC98 emulators out there.

http://www.zophar.net/pc98.html

_________________
Deus damnaret eam!


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM        Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:29 pm 
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Mon May 16, 2011 1:59 pm

Posts
27

Favourite OS
2600
Try Virtual BIOS.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM        Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:55 pm 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:08 am

Posts
963

Location
Itsukaichi, Japan

Favourite OS
4.10.2222A
zzzwim wrote:
Try Virtual BIOS.

Download link?

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM        Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:03 pm 
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Mon May 16, 2011 1:59 pm

Posts
27

Favourite OS
2600
MegaDragon998 wrote:
zzzwim wrote:
Try Virtual BIOS.

Download link?


I am sorry. It just my idea. Try search please :$


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM        Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:09 pm 
Donator
Offline

Joined
Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:02 pm

Posts
5905
zzzwim wrote:
I am sorry. It just my idea. Try search please :$


How can you suggest something when you don't even know if it exists?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM        Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:12 pm 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:08 am

Posts
963

Location
Itsukaichi, Japan

Favourite OS
4.10.2222A
DeFacto wrote:
zzzwim wrote:
I am sorry. It just my idea. Try search please :$


How can you suggest something when you don't even know if it exists?

Yes how?

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM        Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:41 pm 
Donator
Offline

Joined
Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:56 am

Posts
6087
Depends on what you mean by "OEM" - If you mean the OEM licensed versions of Windows that you can get for less than Retail, then yes, you can install them in Virtual PC 2007. If you mean OEM recovery discs, that really depends on the manufacturer as others have said. Some of them BIOS-lock their recovery discs while others tie their recovery discs to activation.

_________________
Goodbye.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM versions in VPC 2007?        Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:10 pm 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:08 am

Posts
963

Location
Itsukaichi, Japan

Favourite OS
4.10.2222A
linuxlove wrote:
Depends on what you mean by "OEM" - If you mean the OEM licensed versions of Windows that you can get for less than Retail, then yes, you can install them in Virtual PC 2007. If you mean OEM recovery discs, that really depends on the manufacturer as others have said. Some of them BIOS-lock their recovery discs while others tie their recovery discs to activation.

Linuxlove,this is an old topic...I found an (ibm?) machine in mess.I dont need it anymore...So now my question is does windows 98 hp oem works in virtual pc and where can i get it?

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM versions in VPC 2007?        Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:11 pm 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:35 am

Posts
1095

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune Build 5111
MegaDragon998 wrote:
Linuxlove,this is an old topic...I found an (ibm?) machine in mess.I dont need it anymore...So now my question is does windows 98 hp oem works in virtual pc and where can i get it?


Virtual PC = Free from MS
Windows 98 HP OEM = Ebay


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM versions in VPC 2007?        Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:27 pm 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:08 am

Posts
963

Location
Itsukaichi, Japan

Favourite OS
4.10.2222A
dans34 wrote:
MegaDragon998 wrote:
Linuxlove,this is an old topic...I found an (ibm?) machine in mess.I dont need it anymore...So now my question is does windows 98 hp oem works in virtual pc and where can i get it?


Virtual PC = Free from MS
Windows 98 HP OEM = Ebay

Only thing is that paypal isnt avalivable for my country and i dont have credit card.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM versions in VPC 2007?        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:40 am 
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:39 am

Posts
95

Favourite OS
NT4 SP6
MegaDragon998 wrote:
linuxlove wrote:
Depends on what you mean by "OEM" - If you mean the OEM licensed versions of Windows that you can get for less than Retail, then yes, you can install them in Virtual PC 2007. If you mean OEM recovery discs, that really depends on the manufacturer as others have said. Some of them BIOS-lock their recovery discs while others tie their recovery discs to activation.

Linuxlove,this is an old topic...I found an (ibm?) machine in mess.I dont need it anymore...So now my question is does windows 98 hp oem works in virtual pc and where can i get it?

It probably will, older versions of Windows were not system locked, the locking only started with XP.

As for discs, look at a thrift store or swap meet or flea market.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM versions in VPC 2007?        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:11 am 
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sat May 15, 2010 1:59 am

Posts
455

Location
Virginia, North America

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Gligar13 wrote:
MegaDragon998 wrote:
linuxlove wrote:
Depends on what you mean by "OEM" - If you mean the OEM licensed versions of Windows that you can get for less than Retail, then yes, you can install them in Virtual PC 2007. If you mean OEM recovery discs, that really depends on the manufacturer as others have said. Some of them BIOS-lock their recovery discs while others tie their recovery discs to activation.

Linuxlove,this is an old topic...I found an (ibm?) machine in mess.I dont need it anymore...So now my question is does windows 98 hp oem works in virtual pc and where can i get it?

It probably will, older versions of Windows were not system locked, the locking only started with XP.

As for discs, look at a thrift store or swap meet or flea market.


achem you mean activation locking, right? Because if you mean BIOS locks. You're seriously incorrect.

_________________
Deus damnaret eam!


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: OEM versions in VPC 2007?        Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:27 am 
Donator
Offline

Joined
Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:02 pm

Posts
5905
Jecag wrote:
achem you mean activation locking, right? Because if you mean BIOS locks. You're seriously incorrect.


I second that.


Top  Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2014

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS