BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 23h, 36m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 4809MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows 8 and ReadyBoost        Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:21 am 

Favourite OS
windows 7
I havent installed windows 8 yet, i dont have ftp access im new i did a search on the forums and couldent find an answer is readyboost available in windows 8 and if so did they make any improvements on it ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 and ReadyBoost        Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:49 am 
Donator

When I formatted my Flash Drive then looked at the properties I saw a readyboot tab.

I didnt try it out though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 and ReadyBoost        Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:26 am 
FTP Access

I connected my 8gb flash drive to my Windows8 7955 computer earlier, readyboost does work and is available, and does seem to make opening/closing of programs even faster than it already was.

The only down side i can see is windows8 with ReadyBoost enabled on this flash drive, takes 2.5x longer to shut down when i issue the 'shut down' command from start menu (or power button).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 and ReadyBoost        Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:04 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS 10.6.1 & Windows 7
Hi There.

I just happened to have been on the Windows 8 Beta team with Microsoft in 2010.
I know that Readyboost is very stable, and will be great with the final release.
ReadyBoost is not only going to work great but also increase RAM greater than 8GB on the 64bit version with larger USB Flash Drives.

http://www.traig.org or call 785-271-0174

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 and ReadyBoost        Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:49 pm 
FTP Access

TreyITGuy wrote:
Hi There.

I know that Readyboost is very stable, and will be great with the final release.
ReadyBoost is not only going to work great but also increase RAM greater than 8GB on the 64bit version with larger USB Flash Drives.

Nice try... but windows8 isn't even in beta yet, it's in early alpha stages, and it wasn't even in alpha until 2011..... beta's supposed to be much later this year, so you couldn't of 'worked with the windows8 beta team in 2010'. Perhaps you meant you worked with windows7 beta team? but even then i think win7 beta'd in 2009 if i remember correctly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 and ReadyBoost        Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:11 pm 
FTP Access

TreyITGuy wrote:

Lol, did you have a time machine? Fail.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 and ReadyBoost        Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:38 pm 
FTP Access

It depends. Which one of me are we talking about?

Favourite OS
TreyITGuy wrote:
Hi There.

I think he means that he worked on the development team. Try to be kinder everybody.

ReadyBoost works well ,but for me with 4GB I don't need it. Really helps my brothers slow old computer though.

>Formerly known as Danielcarlhaffner<

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 and ReadyBoost        Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:14 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Geese you guys are really rude in here. With the exception of Daniel, thank you by the way.

For the most part that is. A guy makes a typo and everyone immediately goes into disbelief.
Thank you Daniel for not being rude. Yes guys I have worked on the Windows 8 team for Microsoft in 2010.
However, I had decided to only work on a small portion of development, since I already own a business, goto law school full time year round, and have started to have health problems lately.

Now, I joined this website to hopefully donate great knowledge and advice for you guys and you pick on someone typos.
Like those people in here that were rude NEVER ever made any mistakes? I doubt it. However, it might have been better if I stated more clearly upfront what team I was on.
Now, as for kithylin, how is it that you know so much about this version of Windows? Are you a Microsoft Employee or a few selected Gold Certified Microsoft Partners?
Did you goto one of those few seminars that Steve Ballmer announced the development of Windows 8?
If so, I congratulate you on your knowledge and expertise, and welcome it in a more peaceful manner than you have afforded me.

Again, thank you Danielcarlhaffner for understanding that human beings can make mistakes and actually type something wrong while thinking one thing and typing another.

-Trey

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 and ReadyBoost        Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Whistler 2257
TreyITGuy wrote:
Hi There.

It's being amazing to meet someone that has worked with Microsoft team, as we love Betas.
Just one question - It is for real to have such amount of RAM with that?
Sorry for being skeptical about it, but USB devices don't have such speed as RAM (up to 60 MB/s on USB2.0 against up to 16 GB/s on DDR3 and Intel Core i7 2600)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 and ReadyBoost        Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:11 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
In layman's terms Ready Boost is meant to be pretty much an in-between of Real RAM speed and what Virtual memory already does.
Yes you are correct that USB has limitations on speed.
However, by the time Windows 8 comes out, USB 3.0 will be main stream, at least the main software companies belief, who am I to judge.
And USB 3.0 is much much faster than conventional USB 2.0, I forget the actual speeds without looking it up, but it is at least 10x better.
USB 3.0 has already come out and many new portable Western Digital Hard disks come now packed with a PCI Express USB 3.0 Card, which is really nice.

Anyway, getting back on topic. Ready Boost was in-between, but Ready Boost will become a great, cheap effective way for users to have more RAM ability for their system without having to buy a lot of extra RAM cards, or have the limitations of the motherboard maximum memory. With Ready Boost, users will now be able to have a lot more RAM for memory hogging programs like AutoCAD, or Rendering Software, Accounting Software, etc. So not to be too Martha for you guys, but "It's a Good Thing." :-)

-Trey

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 and ReadyBoost        Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:05 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Version 6.2 7955
ReadyBoost works fine for me , btw it's really help my slightly slow computer to be fast like new again!!. like :OD

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 and ReadyBoost        Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:17 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
TreyITGuy wrote:
Now, I joined this website to hopefully donate great knowledge and advice for you guys and you pick on someone typos.

Again, thank you Danielcarlhaffner for understanding that human beings can make mistakes and actually type something wrong while thinking one thing and typing another.

-Trey

Just out of curiosity, what was the typo you made? I can't seem to get it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 and ReadyBoost        Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:19 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 Build 7955
Faithword wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what was the typo you made? I can't seem to get it.

Same here I didn't quite catch it either. Not that I really care though :p

As for Win8 and ReadyBoost, it works fine here under 7989 on my 4GB SD card.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 and ReadyBoost        Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:53 am 
FTP Access

@TreyITGuy: Sorry if i came off as rude, i kind of doubted anyone here on the leaks board would actually work for Microsoft, and be associated with us that use illegal copies of testing software... So i just kinda assumed (Wrongly now i think) that it was just some random kid on the internet claiming to work for Microsoft or something. But i was wrong, and i shouldn't of come off like that, I apologize.

No I am not an expert on Microsoft and did not attend any of the conferences or anything, however I had not heard anything from any of the technology trade conventions, nor in any of the technology news about windows8 even being tested (or even worked on for that matter) until a few months ago, and I usually follow most of the tech news sites and several different tech forums regularly. Maybe i just missed it somewhere, but no one on the internet that I'd seen anywhere was discussing windows8 in 2010, much less any word of it being developed.

That doesn't mean that they weren't working on it, Microsoft probably was, just no one knew (or if they did they weren't talking) about windows8 back then, so I'd kind of assumed it wasn't around until recently.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 and ReadyBoost        Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:16 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 8102
After reading everyone's replies here, I decided to try out ReadyBoost.... it works great! I wish I had a bigger USB Drive other than the 2 GB San Disk Cruzer...

Also, I have noticed that like Device Central (or whatever it was called in seven) in Computer, the flash drive actually has a picture of the drive that of my actual flash drive :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 and ReadyBoost        Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:04 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
What is the best size for readyboost to work fast?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 and ReadyBoost        Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:28 am 
FTP Access

russjr08 wrote:
After reading everyone's replies here, I decided to try out ReadyBoost.... it works great! I wish I had a bigger USB Drive other than the 2 GB San Disk Cruzer...

Also, I have noticed that like Device Central (or whatever it was called in seven) in Computer, the flash drive actually has a picture of the drive that of my actual flash drive :)

windows7 can do images like that too if you go into device settings and tell it to get device images from the internet.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8 and ReadyBoost        Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:30 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Thank you for your apology kithylin. I accept. And Yes, I used to work for Microsoft pre 9/11. Now I just do some testing for them, and have my own business in computer consulting with a business partner. Im 33 going on 34 yo, so nope not a kid anymore, maybe only at heart. ;-) I get to do some testing now with MSFT, and Apple both. And I love finding old software out there on the Internet, which is half the reason I joined this site. The other half is that knowledge is best as a team rather than one individual, so all of us sharing our knowledge together makes the software world get better. Thats the main reason I should say, rather than the other half, as to why I have joined.

Let me give you a couple links that shows some news release about Windows 8 kithylin...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/24 ... e_ballmer/
http://www.inquisitr.com/108308/microso ... -for-2012/

News of Windows 8 being released have been leaked in keynote speeches. However, when it will come out, at this point is not completely certain. Microsoft generally has development, then release of beta, then release of beta 2 if the OS is a big change, then the alpha as far as I remember for the public. Windows 7 was done a little bit different but for the most part it took several months, like 15 from development to public beta release. So I think it kind of depends on how many changes go into the OS, like Windows 8. Now I am an Application & Presentation layer programmer in development myself, so Im usually on the end of the programming stuff instead of the hardcore deep stuff. However, I believe that Windows 8 isn't going to be out until The last month of 2012, December, or 2013. I don't believe at this point for it to make the standard pre-fall release dates people are saying. :-)

Hope this helps kithylin on a little bit of where the Windows 8 stuff started. :-) May have been too much information. Sorry about that.
Have a great 4th!

-Trey

Top  Profile  WWW