BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 41d, 3h, 26m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 5462MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Download a website off the wayback machine?        Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:48 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
i'm trying to download some archived websites from 1998 to transfer to my Windows '98 machine (I.E This one), but i can't figure out how to get Visual Wget to download all the subpages/subdirectories. how do i make it do that?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Download a website off the wayback machine?        Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:17 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Maemo 5 PR1.3
Recusive download? (on *nix systems)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Download a website off the wayback machine?        Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:27 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I've tried downloading from the way back machine before, it doesn't allow you to do it because of their directory structure. I don't know how but it just didn't seem to work.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Download a website off the wayback machine?        Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Maemo 5 PR1.3
Recursive download on wget and curl (tested on Ubuntu and SUA) does not work on Internet Archive.
Weird dir structure, I guess (404, even if that /is/ the URL of the file.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Download a website off the wayback machine?        Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:16 pm 
Donator

Offline Explorer.

But it's *cough* not free *cough* Image

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Download a website off the wayback machine?        Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7\Slackware
I've had some problems with offline explorer, it isn't worth paying for IMO, but might be worth a shot.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Download a website off the wayback machine?        Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
i suppose i could get all the pages manually with Visual WGet, but that would take forever.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Download a website off the wayback machine?        Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:41 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mountain Lion
Take a look at http://www.httrack.com/

All you do is put in the web address you want to download, enter a bit more info (such as file types to download) and it does it :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Download a website off the wayback machine?        Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:34 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Craig wrote:
Take a look at http://www.httrack.com/

All you do is put in the web address you want to download, enter a bit more info (such as file types to download) and it does it :)

Same problem Craig, it doesn't work. Tried it myself a few times only to find it fails.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Download a website off the wayback machine?        Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:03 am 
Donator

THAT program, ugg, It never worked for me. Wouldn't copy worth a damn. If I really need to copy a website, I use a program called Blue Crab, (sorry MacOS only.)

for OSX users:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/i ... ecrab.html

Man, there was this one program for windows, if only I could remember the name of it, It would be prob. (O) am before I could find it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Download a website off the wayback machine?        Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:57 am 
Sorry, but no that's not possible. It would be encrypted. I wish I could though. Could you imagine downloading the entire internet and storing it on your computer? :-D

PostPost subject: Re: Download a website off the wayback machine?        Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:09 am 
Donator

What would be encrypted?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Download a website off the wayback machine?        Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:44 am 
Donator

its odd rthat it wouldn't let you download stuff from a website through the wayback machine, it wouldn't be the robots.txt that sort of thing blocks all access, but I guess one has to do it the old fashioned way of going through and downloading every page and image...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Download a website off the wayback machine?        Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:03 am 
This site can be loaded correctly with Offline Explorer. The only suggestion to make the download correct is to use the Project Properties dialog - URL Filters - Directory section and add the server name to the Included keywords list, like:
www.server.com
This will limit the download to the site you want and not follow outside links. All scripts and special codes on the site will be correctly downloaded and processed.