BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 14d, 1h, 58m | CPU: 51% | MEM: 5085MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: locked out of a netgear router        Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:49 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
this kinda falls under both hardware and software problems, but anyway...

[rant]
a few days ago, some piece of (censoring myself here) took it upon itself to attack my home network, all of a sudden, all the computers in my home started blasting hardcore rap at the same time, as a harsh stream of n-words came blaring out of all functioning computers, i quickly cut power from my DSL and wireless router as well as every computer in the house. after all of that, i realized that the piece of (censoring myself again) had changed the login credentials for both my DSL and wireless routers. I was able to reset the password on the DSL router just fine, but my wireless router is a different story...
[/rant]

my wireless router won't reset to the default user/password combination ever after i reset it, it is a Netgear WGR614 v7, i can still access the internet just fine, but i cant change the security settings, what are my options?

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: locked out of a netgear router        Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:31 am 
FTP Access

teriaki 511 wrote:
this kinda falls under both hardware and software problems, but anyway...

[rant]
a few days ago, some piece of (censoring myself here) took it upon itself to attack my home network, all of a sudden, all the computers in my home started blasting hardcore rap at the same time, as a harsh stream of n-words came blaring out of all functioning computers, i quickly cut power from my DSL and wireless router as well as every computer in the house. after all of that, i realized that the piece of (censoring myself again) had changed the login credentials for both my DSL and wireless routers. I was able to reset the password on the DSL router just fine, but my wireless router is a different story...
[/rant]

my wireless router won't reset to the default user/password combination ever after i reset it, it is a Netgear WGR614 v7, i can still access the internet just fine, but i cant change the security settings, what are my options?

Try to contact the manufacturer or buy a new router, that's all I can think of.

Also, I would make sure he didn't get a hold of sensitive information like credit card details, etc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:02 am 
Donator

Firstly, the moral of the story is always use WPA(2) encryption with a strong passkey. :P

Secondly, have you tried connecting to the router's page from a wired connection? Try the hard-reset again, then connect to it with an ethernet cable and see if you can log in with the default username/password.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:05 am 
FTP Access

I think the problem is that he didn't do a complete hard reset. No matter what it resets the password and everything.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100651.asp

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:51 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
For resetting you will need to reset the device with an CABLE on it.
Then it should work.

Every router resets in a different way, see your manual for how to doing this, if you dont have it, google it.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:39 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Usually a full hard reset can be done by doing the following.

Use a pencil or something to push the reset pin on the front.
At the same time as pushing the pin, remove the power.
Keep the pin held in for 10 seconds then replace the power.
Keep the pin held for a further 10 seconds then release it.
The router should perform a hard reset, resetting everything to factory defaults, including the user and password which is likely admin and admin. This also means your internet will likely need the username and password putting in again etc.

Hope this helps.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:43 am 
Donator

It's impossible to keep someone from resetting the password on their router. At least I've never seen a router with that option. Chances are that you just didn't do a hard reset. If the instructions in Andy's post above don't work try the same procedure only count a slow 30 seconds.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:30 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WFW 3.11/Win 98SE
i turns out that i was doing two steps out of order the whole time! boy do I feel stupid... I was able to get everything up and running, highest security settings, new security measures etc... thanks again, and feel free to lock this topic at any time

Top  Profile  YIM
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]