BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 41d, 10h, 46m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 4727MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: Firefox 4 - Beta 4 & New Features        Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Vienna 7600
Mozilla Tuesday updated Firefox 4 to its fourth beta release, adding two major new features: Firefox Sync and Panorama.

Firefox Sync lets users access browser history, password keychain, bookmarks, and open tabs across their different desktop computers, iOS, or Maemo-based mobile devices. Sync is available as an add-in for Firefox 3.5 and 3.6, but in Firefox 4, it is a built-in feature.

Firefox Panorama was formerly known as Tab Candy, and it debuted in alpha several months ago to critical acclaim. To solve the problem of too many browser tabs being open at once, and turning into a cluttered mess; the feature lets the user arrange their tabs into groups. The result is similar to HTC and Samsung's Android UI layers that let the user zoom out and see all the homescreens at once.

Download Firefox 4 Beta 4

Release notes

Source: WinMatrix

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4 - Beta 4 & New Features        Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:03 pm 

lol that panorama sucks
only adds more clutter

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4 - Beta 4 & New Features        Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:43 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
And it's still slower than all it's rivals.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4 - Beta 4 & New Features        Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Vienna 7600
hounsell wrote:
And it's still slower than all it's rivals.

Indeed, It seems like their bloating it to get more users, Instead of optimizing the browsing.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4 - Beta 4 & New Features        Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:06 pm 
Donator

I don't need Firefox Sync at all, but i like Firefox Panorama, it gives a great overview over all open tabs.
It's still in experimental stages and eats to much hardware resources, but i guess it will get fixed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4 - Beta 4 & New Features        Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:06 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
UNIX v6, Plan 9
Firefox now also supports opentype (you have to enable gfx.font_rendering.harfbuzz.level and possibly something else).
You can use this demonstration of the developer who implemented it to try it out:
http://people.mozilla.com/~jkew/opentyp ... round.html

And I'd love to get webgl to work, but it's buggy somehow.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4 - Beta 4 & New Features        Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:41 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Instead of Firefox Sync, Ive always just copied the profile folder contents from system to system. At work when Im setting up a few systems to have the same bookmarks, addons, etc I find it easy enough to set it up on one system, simply copy the profile to a network drive and then just use it on any other systems that need to be setup.

I really hope they stay away from the bloat. I remember one of the reasons I picked Firefox back in the 1.x days was because it felt very lightweight yet powerful. Im not sure I can say that as much today but I still use it since Ive become addicted to some addons.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4 - Beta 4 & New Features        Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:15 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
When you find an adblock that works as well and as thourough as AdBlock Plus (with all the lists that I like (Fanboy's espically) ) for another browser, I'll consider switching.
I'll never use chrome though, and IE is... well... IE...
and Safari is not what I would consider a contender in the PC space so...
Yeah... Firefox.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4 - Beta 4 & New Features        Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:10 pm 
Donator

Why will you never use chrome pizzaboy? It is the browser I use whenever I use a PC, and I set up all of my family using chrome. Its fast and beautiful. Of course that is IMHO.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4 - Beta 4 & New Features        Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Vienna 7600
Beta_Train wrote:
Why will you never use chrome pizzaboy? It is the browser I use whenever I use a PC, and I set up all of my family using chrome. Its fast and beautiful. Of course that is IMHO.

Beautiful, meh.

and some people don't like google spying on us for each letter you type into the addressbar.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4 - Beta 4 & New Features        Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Because it's not like they could get all the information they need from your google searches, as-you-type google suggest results, the sites you visit that contain google ads..

Frankly, if you're going to be paranoid, the address bar is the least of your worries. For everyone else, the auto-complete is nice.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4 - Beta 4 & New Features        Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
spunker88 wrote:
Instead of Firefox Sync, Ive always just copied the profile folder contents from system to system.

I was going to praise Firefox Sync, because I move from pc to pc a lot, and I always miss my stored passwords (I do export bookmarks).

Does this method (copying the profile folder) works if I want to keep my passes, bookmarks, etc?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4 - Beta 4 & New Features        Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:37 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
All looking good, but I'll probably stick to IE

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4 - Beta 4 & New Features        Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:17 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Is it me or is beta 4 slower than beta 3?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Firefox 4 - Beta 4 & New Features        Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:29 am 
Donator

Beta_Train wrote:

I use Chrome, but only because of the built in browser sync and that it starts faster than Firefox.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]