BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 38d, 17h, 46m | CPU: 10% | MEM: 4834MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:58 am 
FTP Access

Hey guys!
I grabbed a copy of the revolt source code off the FTP today. After seeing that there weren't any project files bundled in the archive I had a little 'Challenge Accepted' moment where I was going to get the damn thing working :P

After a couple of hours of looking through the source files (and grabbing a copy of the DX8 SDK from the HL2 code) I managed to get the code compiling.
There are a few nitty gritty fixes that need to be made to the code for it to launch (mostly going outside the bounds of arrays) which I won't detail.
One of the font files was missing which made the game unplayable until I found the file on the net.
I was then greeted by a disappointing menu:

The menu option 'new front end' leads to the more retail style menu:

2 random pictures of the default level:
ImageImage

From the state of the UI and the crappy menu (and no intro movies\credits), I'd say this is source code for a beta version of the game.

Right now there's a bug where the game crashes when the player hits a trigger (so the game is basically unplayable). If anyone is interested, I'll keep this thread updated.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:23 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune Build 5111
Im interested , i wonder why it has a speedo and lap timings on the screen for a shooter ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:16 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Arch Linux
This looks awesome, this could probably be uploaded as a compiled copy.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:16 pm 
FTP Access

dans34 wrote:
Im interested , i wonder why it has a speedo and lap timings on the screen for a shooter ?

I think of Revolt as something similar to Mario Kart (a racing game with powerups).

FoobyZeeky wrote:
This looks awesome, this could probably be uploaded as a compiled copy.

I was thinking about that as well, but the only beta thing about it is the executable. The content itself is all from the retail version.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:34 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
Wow. This looks interesting. Nice job.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune Build 5111
oh wait , i thought that thing in the middle of the screenshots was gun

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:46 pm 
FTP Access

dans34 wrote:

Now that you mention it, the car does look like a gun in the thumbnails LOL

I'll probably archive what I have now (stock code with the missing files added+a few fixes to make it compile and run) and upload it to the BA server tomorrow (since the copy on the server doesn't compile\is missing files).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:12 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Arch Linux
dans34 wrote:

So did I. Oh well. I didn't even know what Revolt was in the first place.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:33 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
FoobyZeeky wrote:
dans34 wrote:

So did I. Oh well. I didn't even know what Revolt was in the first place.

Haha. Revolt is a racing game guys, but well, you probably know that now :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:14 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Debian 6
Its probably the best racing game ever :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
martysmarty wrote:
Its probably the best racing game ever :)

I used to love it so much when I was younger. I think I still have it on my old PC. Very fun game.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:05 pm 
FTP Access

lucas93, you should join the Re-Volt 1.2 crew. They are always looking for coders to help improve the game.

EDIT: Just got FTP access and had a look at the source. I can confirm that it is from the Re-Volt Xbox Live port, which is derived from a beta source screenshot. One of the programmers who work on the Live port leaked the source to the Re-Volt modding community, which is what was used to create the Re-Volt 1.2 patch. I happen to have a more complete copy of the source, so I'll upload it soon.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:55 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Archlinux
j4tp wrote:
lucas93, you should join the Re-Volt 1.2 crew. They are always looking for coders to help improve the game.

EDIT: Just got FTP access and had a look at the source. I can confirm that it is from the Re-Volt Xbox Live port, which is derived from a beta source screenshot. One of the programmers who work on the Live port leaked the source to the Re-Volt modding community, which is what was used to create the Re-Volt 1.2 patch. I happen to have a more complete copy of the source, so I'll upload it soon.

I would be very interested in that. could you send me a link or notify me when you uploaded it?

@lucas: nice one, could you upload the "fixed" source of yours? :D I would try to make it run myself but I guess I wont find the files you describe (like the fonts)

also I found a Dev version on the net, I'll upload it sometime later (pretty interesting stuff in it although everything is already described of it in the wiki ->
http://revolt.wikia.com/wiki/Developer_Version
http://revolt.wikia.com/wiki/DEV_Cars )

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:21 am 
FTP Access

Merry Christmas :)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M32YE43G

Notes are in the archive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Archlinux
thank you very much :)

btw RVDEV version is uploaded on ftp and waiting for approval (forgot to move it into the PC folder, didnt know you cant change it afterwards :P ).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:49 am 
FTP Access

Triver wrote:
I would be very interested in that. could you send me a link or notify me when you uploaded it?

It was uploaded and accepted in early September. Just redownload the Revolt Source archive from FTP.

lucas93 wrote:
Merry Christmas :)

Thank you for your solution and source changes!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Archlinux
j4tp wrote:
It was uploaded and accepted in early September. Just redownload the Revolt Source archive from FTP.
oh cool, why was it replaced? I mean dont we try to collect all the different versions of the games there are? especially if it is source code :)

anyway I re-downloaded it, thx for the notification ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:12 pm 
FTP Access

Triver wrote:
j4tp wrote:
oh cool, why was it replaced?

It was replaced because my copy contained more files. It's still a incomplete copy of the beta source screenshot. The only person I know of who claims to have the complete beta source code is Paintballpsyco2369.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:53 pm 

Favourite OS
GNU/Linux
I sent a PM to Paintballpsyco2369 a while ago, he basically told me that he couldn't get much of the source code and that some of the libraries were missing (sound for exemple).

So I guess he probably have the same source code that other people do.

From what I hear here and there, it seems to be a pretty huge mess to compile, fix and improve (and complete).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:39 pm 
FTP Access

lunavorax wrote:
From what I hear here and there, it seems to be a pretty huge mess to compile, fix and improve (and complete).

It wasn't really that bad, it took me about 4 hours to get working (getting missing libraries, fixing compile issues and fixing initial crashes).
To complete, that's a whole lot of work right there!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:12 pm 
FTP Access

For those who are trying to download lucas93's archive from megaupload, I have reuploaded it here & here since megaupload was taken down.

2014/7 edit: Reuploaded the source code for Re-Volt.

Last edited by j4tp on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:44 am 

Favourite OS
MacOSX 10.6
Has anyone had a go at getting this working on iOS?
The original game was released on the Dreamcast and I've managed to get a Dreamcast game running on iPad.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Archlinux
Sure, you can run the console versions on emulators on iOS (or Android), I know that the N64 and PSX versions are playable.

However if you meant porting the whole game to the platform then that is a whole different thing (though it would improve the gaming perfomance a lot). Not to mention that the source mentioned in this thread so far is only a beta of the original game, a lot of stuff has changed since then (and I'm not talking about content but rather gameplay feeling).

I dont know if some of you know about it but there was also a Xbox version planned for Re-Volt which was dropped in 2002 but its source code has been leaked and is available for some time now. I think thats the basis where the current community patches started from so if you want to make something out of the game I would recommend that you use the Xbox source code.

I'm currently trying to get it working again for the PC (I know, its pointless because of the people who already did this but since there is no other way for me to make the changes to the game I ever wanted to, I'm doing this :P ) and its actually not that difficult to do.
The only challenging stuff is the network code and some of the graphics code (like the menu font drawing), most of the other Xbox code has been marked as such and can be reverted easily.

And last but not least, just recently there has been some kind of announcement from the people who are currently owning the rights of Re-Volt (and apparently someone who was involved in original Re-Volt development), they are planning to re-release Re-Volt on iOS and Android (and perhaps other platforms) so a community made port might not even be necessary.

edit: almost forgot - the source where you can read all about it: http://z3.invisionfree.com/Revolt_Live/ ... topic=2392 ^^ (you can also find the Xbox source posted somewhere on that forum)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:43 pm 
FTP Access

I was looking up some N64 C functions and I noticed some results showing up Re-Volt source files hosted on neilhutchinson.org. It appears that the entire source tree was uploaded, but has since been deleted.

Did anyone manage to download the complete source tree before the site was removed?

Edit: No, the files were 404'd when I found them.

Last edited by j4tp on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revolt source code compile        Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Archlinux
Well did you manage to obtain anything or was it already taken down when you searched for it?

And just a sidenote here: Re-Volt has been officially released for iOS, there is their website -> http://www.bigbit.co.uk/

Also in case anyone is interested, I need someone to help me compile and getting the tools "rconv" and "UnitConv" to run.
Their source can be found in the Xbox leak which you can get here -> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60683690/rvsource.zip
(paths are "..\rvsource\PC\distro\rconv\" and "..\rvsource\PC\distro\Track Editor\UnitConv")
UnitConv is actually a modified version of rconv so it uses all of its source files (which means simply copy&paste all files in the rconv directory to the UnitConv root directory (but don't overwrite user.cpp!)

About the tools themselves:
rconv is supposed to be a convertion tool to convert and modify certain file types which were used during Re-Volt's development (I believe it was mostly used to port the game to the console versions). I'm interested in this one because it should be able to extract all the contents from the .p3d files (which are also included in the leak) and thus give us some more insight of unreleased and concept stuff of Re-Volt.

UnitConv is supposed to be a convertion tool to convert from .p3d to .rtu files (and I believe some more stuff). This would be even nowadays relevant since .rtu files contain all the module information for the ingame TrackEditor. That could give us a possiblity to create our own modules!

I already tried myself a lot to make something out of the source and got the conclusion that you are best off using Visual C++ 6.0 (they are both MFC applications). I even succeeded in compiling rconv but he also needs a compiled .dll which should also be compilable with the same source (just do some resewarch if you are unsure how to do that) and thats where my problems begin.
He gives me some unresolved external linker errors (either because the .lib files are too old or for some other reason) which I'm unable to figure out.

And UnitConv needs a few additional source files which are nowhere to find but maybe someone can reproduce them..

Top  Profile