Post subject: Re: Grand Theft Auto III Beta is Awesome! Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:09 pm
1337 Beta Collector
Joined Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:06 am
Favourite OS 7601 SP1
@ccrogers15: I ever seen it. Here the differences from "gta.wikia.com" :
* Claude's appearance went through many different designs. Some screenshots show a poorly detailed Claude, who looks completely different from the final version. Other pictures show a more final Claude with different hair and a chubbier appearance. * Curtly was removed from the final version. * The character of Darkel, a revolutionary domestic terrorist, was cut. * Tom Novy was meant to make an appearance in the game as himself, but was removed along with his song, "Back to the Streets" for unknown reasons. * 8-Ball's name was originally going to be Mullan. * Joey Leone's original surname was Sorvino. * Salvatore's original name was Frankie Sorvino. * The Portland Island Triads originally sported black outfits.
* Certain player skins, accessible with cheat codes, were removed. * Elderly pedestrians with walkers were removed. * Children were planned for the game. * Police Officers originally had mustaches. * Originally the Liberty City Triads had tattoos.
* Some, but not all, of Darkel's missions were subsequently given to other characters. It has been said that Darkel had 13 missions for Claude, though most of them were cut. * A mission that involved flying the Dodo was cut.. * Originally, when doing Vigilante, Paramedic, or Firefighter missions, the vehicles radio could go out of range - requiring the player to drive closer to the nearest police station/hospital/fire station. * A mission where you need to bomb a school bus full of children was cut due the violence and gore.
* The Old School Hall changed appearance. It previously looked newer and lit up. * Punk Noodles was originally just with a small grass park with two statues. The statue model still exists in the game's files. * The Callahan Bridge was going to be named West Port Bridge. * The Callahan Bridge also had two suspensions. * In the beta, the airport was once in Staunton Island and there are many roads in Shoreside Vale. Callahan Bridge is also absent. * Accorded to the GXT files, metro stations were named like in Liberty City Stories (with the same name).
* The airplane landing at Francis International Airport was destroyable with a Rocket Launcher. * The ability to blow limbs off of non-playable characters was cut, but only from the PS2 version of the game. This can still be activated in the PS2 version via cheat codes. * You could originally run with the baseball bat. * Online multiplayer was cut.
* The graphics were originally "cartoonish". (possibly due to a rumored cancelled Sega Dreamcast release) * A very early HUD was very different there was alife bar instead of numbers * The radar was light blue instead of yellow.
* The ability to name the character, much like in Grand Theft Auto, was cut. An unused line of text reads "[DEFNAM] Claude----------------------" - interestingly, this confirms that the protagonist’s name is Claude. * Unused lines of text within the game's text files contain phrases, such as "You're perfectly healthy, get out of here!" and "I'll just fix you up". These lines of text seem to imply that the game's hospitals were, originally, accessible/usable. * The "Busted!" text and target arrows were originally red instead of blue.
* There was also a bus company named Jelly Tours. * The song "Back to the Streets", was deleted out of the track with no explanation. * The Baseball Bat was originally red and yellow. * The Rocket Launcher's original scope looked alot like the one of sniper rifle. * Safehouses would gradually improve in their appearance as the player progressed and gained more money * Claude was originally supposed to have a voice as shown in the first trailer. * When save the game,your health supposed full in beta.
Some of these changes are thought to have been as a result of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, although others were made as well before that time."
@tonynoname: You cannot play it from VPC because the 3D is not supported and it plays slow. You can play it on Windows 7 (I made it play in Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic in my laptop).
Post subject: Re: Grand Theft Auto III Beta is Awesome! Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:24 pm
Guru Beta Collector
Joined Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:47 pm
@Gurluas: No that's wrong, there are no leaked pre-release versions from any GTA game. There are just GTA Prototypes from Mike Daily which i've uploaded on the BA FTP. @betascollector: Well there are, because they recorded many media while the game is development. GTAGarage host mods only, so those aren't original beta files... But i have to say there are unused/pre-release files in the game files on PS2 discs.