BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 8d, 19h, 53m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 5302MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I lost.        Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:16 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
any of it interest anyone? ignore if you got it all :P

I still remember leeching the tests off id's ftp on 56k back in the day before they deleted them all.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I l        Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:20 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune Build 5111
sure id like to take alook at this

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I l        Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:18 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Please share it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I l        Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:36 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
all files will be uploaded here; http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3cba ... 785cc0f59e

keep checking back, i only have a 10mbit line and the upload speed aint great.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I l        Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 4074
Ahh ! Thanks !

I love q3a :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I l        Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:44 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
Looks awesome. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I l        Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:44 am 

Favourite OS
Pele1Q10
I am sad I missed these, I love Q3A too. Can somebody please re-up? One of my favorite engines ever...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I l        Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:43 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
XP SP2
I've never heard of the "Quake III - Revision 5" that's on the top left-hand corner. Is it some sort of beta or something like that? AFAIK, the only Q3 protos out there are the IHV Test and Q3Test.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I l        Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS
Link - http://depositfiles.com/files/zrq1azbhl

On my computer that have a crash: "No OpenGL subsystem found!".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I l        Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:21 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OSX
Q3 Rev.5 seems like a custom patched version of the IHV leak with a few additional variants of tim_dm1.bsp (with powerups & no fog) as well as fixed weapon textures and sounds.

Overall nice fixes but I was wondering if anyone here got the Q3 stained glass logo to render correctly.
I got the overlay texture translucent but the surface below that texture is just bright red and not reflexive like in the techdemo Carmack presented at Macworld.

I have attached screenshots:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I l        Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:03 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
XP SP2
thedoctor45 wrote:
Q3 Rev.5 seems like a custom patched version of the IHV leak with a few additional variants of tim_dm1.bsp (with powerups & no fog) as well as fixed weapon textures and sounds.

Overall nice fixes but I was wondering if anyone here got the Q3 stained glass logo to render correctly.
I got the overlay texture translucent but the surface below that texture is just bright red and not reflexive like in the techdemo Carmack presented at Macworld.

I have attached screenshots:

My IHV doesn't even render the glass as transparent. It's just the texture.

My guess as to why it isn't working for anybody is that it used some sort of trick that can't be replicated on modern graphics cards. That's really the only "technical" explanation I can think og outside of "it is broken in the IHV Test".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I l        Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:24 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OSX
to make it translucent you have to edit gothic_block.shader in the baseq3/scripts folder:

Code:
textures/gothic_block/blocks11ct
{
   // *************************************************
   // * JohnC's filter glass
   // *************************************************

cull twosided

{
      map textures/gothic_block/blocks11ct.tga
      blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
   }
   {
      map $lightmap
      blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
   }
}

I'm on an nVidia card btw - afaik the Test was designed for ATI graphics specifically when it was first presented.
Maybe the effect only works properly on ATI Radeon cards...

Anyone here with an ATI card?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I l        Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
XP SP2
thedoctor45 wrote:
to make it translucent you have to edit gothic_block.shader in the baseq3/scripts folder:
I'm on an nVidia card btw - afaik the Test was designed for ATI graphics specifically when it was first presented.
Maybe the effect only works properly on ATI Radeon cards...

Anyone here with an ATI card?

Here's what I got:

What it looks like at a distance:

What it looks like when I semi-clip through the glass

Looks like it's partially working; it works when you're looking through the initial glass texture but not anywhere else. I'm using an Nvidia 260 GTX.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I l        Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:05 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OSX
that leads me to the conclusion that the gothic_block texture needs to be rendered invisible when viewed from behind (just like the first portal at the beginning of the level) - that way only one glass texture can be seen at a time and they don't overlap.

In Carmack's presentation there was no second glass texture visible behind the first one so it must have been set as invisible.

But how to implement this in the code, I have no idea....

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I l        Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:33 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OSX
ok some progress, removing "cull twosided" from the code seems to have exactly the desired effect, but the red area is still there - however if I noclip out of the level the glass is now properly rendered - if I jump back into the level it's all opaque again...

Here's a screenshot to proove it:

argh, so close...

Unfortunately I know too little about these things - a skilled Q3 mapper/modder could probably do more.

Last edited by thedoctor45 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I l        Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS
Ziron wrote:
Nvidia 260 GTX.

Too, but error - "No OpenGL subsystem found!" . XP SP3.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I l        Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OSX
T02my wrote:
Ziron wrote:
Nvidia 260 GTX.

Too, but error - "No OpenGL subsystem found!" . XP SP3.

You have to remove the opengl32.dll from the game folder to make it start.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I l        Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:52 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS
thedoctor45
Thanks. Never be read russian forums, they are lie about install OPENGL32 Drivers.. :x

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I l        Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:17 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OSX
OK I did it - the translucency effect on the glass is now working properly! :D

Took me several hours to find the correct cfg settings to fix it without breaking other stuff so I hope you appreciate it ;)

Here's a screenshot:

I'm now uploading my properly fixed version of the IHV leak and post it asap.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: recently fond my collection of quake3 stuf I thought I l        Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:28 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OSX
OK here is the link to the fixed version:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9IDOJS8N

I have included bat launcher which you can find in the Map Launcher directory- they allow you to play some of the maps with bots and fix the stained glass issue - I strongly suggest that you use them.

enjoy

Top  Profile