BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 10d, 19h, 23m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 8835MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: [Vintage Macintosh] Floppy Emu        Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:42 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 3.1
FYI.

Good news if you have vintage macintosh. Genius guy invented Floppy Emulator for vintage macintosh (Mac 128/512K, Mac Plus, Mac SE, Mac Classic I/II). I tested it with my Mac Plus, Mac SE and it work flawlessly.

Please see detail in the website below.

http://www.bigmessowires.com/macintosh-floppy-emu/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Vintage Macintosh] Floppy Emu        Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:02 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Whistler 2296
Oooh, this looks great! :D
$89 is a bit hefty price-wise but it seems to be a very useful device.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Vintage Macintosh] Floppy Emu        Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:09 pm 

Yeah it is a bit pricey it seems he tests them pretty well before sending them out though since he has been catching about 4% of the boards have a chip that is burning out... apparently due to momentary overvoltage when the Mac powers up or some such. Hopefully he can mitigate that in the next revision.

Here's the link to the discussion about the problem.
www.bigmessowires.com/2014/03/28/troubl ... ged-chips/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Vintage Macintosh] Floppy Emu        Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:33 pm 

Favourite OS
Mac OS 7.6
Oh man, that's great! Coupled with SCSI2SD (http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index. ... le=SCSI2SD), you could have quite the diagnostic setup for vintage Macs.

This one has a really spiffy UI, though. I like that. So many vintage projects don't put much effort into that (I'm looking at you, ZoomFloppy!), and it's nice to see.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Vintage Macintosh] Floppy Emu        Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:18 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT5 2195/NT6 9600
I just rescued a Mac 512k, and I think I'll end up getting one of these sd adapters, because the damn floppy drive is shot in the system, and hey, we have all the disk images on the FTP for the system. I also rescued a powermac 7500 and a g3 powermac (graphite). I already had a graphite g3, so I'll likely use the newly rescued one as a backup for parts.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Vintage Macintosh] Floppy Emu        Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:32 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler 5.1.2457.0
With an old Mac 128k waiting to be resurrected, this will be a godsend! Thank you for posting this! I've been looking for a solution to get past the nasty barrier of not being able to properly write to 400k floppies – hopefully this will work out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Vintage Macintosh] Floppy Emu        Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:43 pm 

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
Definitely better than having to write a disk to a floppy every time you want to get something on it. Especially when installing stuff like OS 7. $89 is a little steep though :P.

Main Computer
Powermac G5
1.8 GHz PPC G5
4 GB of RAM
Mac OS X Leopard

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [Vintage Macintosh] Floppy Emu        Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:04 pm 

Favourite OS
NeXTSTEP 3.3
Holy... there is something like an Floppy Emulator AND an SCSI2SD?! Oh my... this is gonna be one expensive forum thread for me.

Ever since I got my hands on an CF2IDE I thought "If only...." and now there's is. I'm gonna need way more hours in a day to play around with all this.

-joe

Edit: Sorry for resurrecting a thread that was over a year old. :-\

Top  Profile