BetaArchive Logo
Archive Size: 9.44TB (8.58TiB) in N/A files
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 7h, 25m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 3792MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Connectix RAM Doubler & Speed Doubler        Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:14 am 

Favourite OS
I remember back in the days when Connectix RAM Doubler and Speed Doubler were really neat pieces of SW to have.
Just for nostalgic reasons, I went hunting to get copies of both and came up with:

RAM Doubler 8, 9, 9.0.1 updater
Speed Doubler 8 8.1.2 updater, 9

However, during the process of searching for the files, I also came across some articles saying that Speed Doubler didn't work on OS 9, and that Connectix didn't have plans for OS 9 support for Speed Doubler. Then what is this Speed Doubler 9 that I got? Could it be malware? I even looked into the WayBackMachine and saw that Speed Doubler 9 was never mentioned on Connectix's website.

The installer runs and the UI is quite similar to RAM Doubler 9's installer UI.

Any clarification on Speed Doubler 9? Was there ever such a thing?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Connectix RAM Doubler & Speed Doubler        Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:58 pm 

I remember how cool it was back then as well. There would be ads everywhere in Macworld and I really wanted it at the time. To answer your question, I am quite sure there is not a Speed Doubler 9. 8 was definitely the last version. At that time, OS9 machines started having plenty of RAM and we started moving away from RAM utilities. Although it was not very common back then, there is the possibility that it could be malware.

I really wouldn't touch it. Now if you wanted to for fun, you could run an OS9 emulator on a VM over an isolated network. I personally do this for a lot of Windows software potentially malware. I have a separate subnet/vlan that doesn't communicate with my own network. You just really have to know what you are doing.

Top  Profile