BetaArchive Logo
Archive Size: 9.44TB (8.58TiB) in N/A files
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 16h, 25m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 5207MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Tray-Loading iMac G3 CD troubles        Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.9
So I recently picked up one of those old tray-load iMacs (carried it at least 4km to get home on foot... ugh) so I could mess around with older mac stuff again.

Well, it turns out that it's the original thing, rev A. 233MHz, 4Gig HD Bondi Blue iMac, and it has the most minimal OS 9.2 system I have ever seen installed on it. It literally just turns on and goes to the finder and can't do much, has no apps, no control panels, no extensions.
This is, clearly, quite useless to me so I was quick to grab some CDs and start burning some OSes... Well I threw them in, nothing appeared in the finder, tried booting them, nothing, snooped around in Open Firmware, and it wouldn't even let me eject the disk via the open firmware 'eject cd' command.
A bit of googling and a bit of thought led me to believe that the drive itself was messed, so I replaced it with some random old pin comparable drive. Still got nothing.

So I'm wondering what else could be the problem here (that little PCB that goes in between the optical drive and the cable that connects it to the motherboard?) or if anyone has any idea of how I could get a more complete Mac OS system onto this thing.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tray-Loading iMac G3 CD troubles        Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS 10.3
I have the same. It turned out to be confused by wrong PRAM data and by a empty logic board battery.

You need to exchange the battery and press the little button on the logic board for some seconds, then boot with the PRAM keystroke held until it chimes three times, and after that you can attempt a serious CD start (don't forget to press 'C' while booting) with Mac OS 8.6 or 9. Try to clean that CD-drive by blowing air into it carefully.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tray-Loading iMac G3 CD troubles        Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.9
So.. fun times. I was able to make CDs show up in the Finder using your tip above, but they won't boot, even if I use startup disk to select a CD that it sees as bootable.

One thing I should have mentioned is that when the iMac gets turned on (it's always been doing this since I got it), it displays this icon:
Image, alternating between the Mac OS logo and a question mark for a few seconds before booting from only the hard disk. Well I tried swapping out the Hard disk to try to force it to boot from the CD, but now it just chills on that screen, and doesn't seem to want to boot from CD no matter what I do.
What can be done, any ideas?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tray-Loading iMac G3 CD troubles        Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS X Mavericks 10.9.2
1) Hard drive may be corrupted. Install a new hard drive and try again.

2) "I have found that's it's usually RAM ESD (electro static discharge) problems. (Zapped RAM) Remove one of the RAM chips and see if the problem persists. Then do the other."
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/829 ... ow+appears.

Google +: okcn .aline
Tom's Hardware : okcnaline

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tray-Loading iMac G3 CD troubles        Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:27 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS 10.3
Marcello wrote:
One thing I should have mentioned is that when the iMac gets turned on (it's always been doing this since I got it), it displays this icon [system folder icon] alternating between the Mac OS logo and a question mark for a few seconds before booting from only the hard disk.

Blinking system folder icon means: It's looking for the system folder on your hard disk, because it forgot where it is. If it finds it, all is fine. Otherwise it wouldn't boot, I guess. If it's looking for the folder each boot, it can't rember the position or it's not "blessed" (Mac jargon: marked for booting).

Could it be that your installed Mac OS is severed and missing drivers? As if someone wanted to clean up his/her personal data and manually deleted everything on the hard drive.

Does the CD drive have difficulties to initialize the disc after loading … or does it sound clean and gets quiet quickly?
* makes noises and more noises: drive or disc faulty
* spins up, reads, gets quiet: software problem
Before exchanging the hard drive, you should be able to boot from CD ;)

Which Mac OS do you try to boot from CD? For best results, use 8.6 or 9.x on that machine. Or the iMac hardware test from the BA FTP server. You didn't use a DVD for burning an image, did you? ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tray-Loading iMac G3 CD troubles        Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:36 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.9
SoftWitch wrote:
Does the CD drive have difficulties to initialize the disc after loading … or does it sound clean and gets quiet quickly?
* makes noises and more noises: drive or disc faulty
* spins up, reads, gets quiet: software problem
Before exchanging the hard drive, you should be able to boot from CD ;)

Which Mac OS do you try to boot from CD? For best results, use 8.6 or 9.x on that machine. Or the iMac hardware test from the BA FTP server. You didn't use a DVD for burning an image, did you? ;)

The drive spins, reads, and then gets quiet**; like I said I was able to access the disc from Finder on the pre-installed OS9, and reinstall the system so that I have proper control panels & extensions and all, but I want to put a HD in that's bigger than 4gs in it, so I will need the CD boot capability if I want to install any OS onto the larger disk.

I'm using the "Apple Mac OS 9.2.2 [English] (CD)" from the FTP, burned to a blank CD-R.

** this is the replacement drive I put in, I re-tested the original one and it's completely toast, but as far as I know the drive I'm works perfectly

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tray-Loading iMac G3 CD troubles        Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:31 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 95B
You can always try to install it via USB, I've found this on the internet, should work for your iMac as well I think: http://macintoshgarden.org/forum/usb-os-9-boot-call-me-crazy

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tray-Loading iMac G3 CD troubles        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:26 pm 

Favourite OS
Manjaro
You said that this was very minimalist... does it even have anything for using CD's?

That may be part of the problem. You may want to do some research and see if there is anything you can get for your Mac so it can boot CD's. It may be a certain driver or something, or you may need to go into BIOS and change boot priority.

I could be wrong (I probably am), but just try and see.

Top  Profile