BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 19h, 11m | CPU: 52% | MEM: 6576MB of 24567MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: How to properly burn a OS 9 disc?        Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I replaced the hard disk in my iMac G3 and so it requires a reinstall of OS 9. The last time I did it, I burned the ISO using ImgBurn on Windows, which wouldn't boot the iMac. Burning the ISO using the burning tool in Tiger on my Mac mini worked and I was able to boot the system from the CD.

I would rather not have to copy the ISO to the Mac mini just to burn it. What is the correct way to burn an OS 9 install CD under Windows?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to properly burn a OS 9 disc?        Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:49 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0 SP5
Use ultraISO to create a hybrid CD image and then burn it using the same program.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to properly burn a OS 9 disc?        Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 10
computebrute wrote:
Use ultraISO to create a hybrid CD image and then burn it using the same program.

Why would the ISO need recreating? I would also rather use free programs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to properly burn a OS 9 disc?        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0 SP5
Goldfish64 wrote:
I would also rather use free programs.

Emm.. There's a free trial for 30 days that works as if it is the full version.

Goldfish64 wrote:
Why would the ISO need recreating?

Think about that. Why would it need recreating?...
Oh yes, because you are trying to make the ISO compatible with a system that only supports that type of image.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to properly burn a OS 9 disc?        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:07 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I found this topic: http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20614

I'll download 9.0.4 and try ImgBurn first, and if that doesn't work, UltraISO. I will post back with results.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to properly burn a OS 9 disc?        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:21 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 3.30a & Windows/386!
be sure you aren't burning an ISO on the CD it seems lots of people make these CD's with the ISO file on there (can you view it afterwards to make sure it has more than 1 file?)

The older MacOS is super finicky to burn from a non mac.. If you have access to titanium on another Mac, try that route.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to properly burn a OS 9 disc?        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:53 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 10
louisw3 wrote:
be sure you aren't burning an ISO on the CD it seems lots of people make these CD's with the ISO file on there (can you view it afterwards to make sure it has more than 1 file?)

I first burned the ISO with ImgBurn, but it won't boot, but looks fine in a MacBook Pro with Yosemite. I also tried Disk Utility in Yosemite and it starts to boot, but it ends up with a floppy disk with a blinking question mark (this one also looks fine in Finder). There is a mouse cursor at this point however, so it finds the CD, but fails during the boot process for some reason. I think I might take the long route and restore 8.6 first, then install 9.x from that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to properly burn a OS 9 disc?        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:47 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP2 5.1.2600
Old Mac OS bootable CDs need a "Driver partition" to boot correctly.
Many CD burning/CD imaging software cannot correctly handle them, It's best to use Mac-aware CD software such as Toast to image or burn such disks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to properly burn a OS 9 disc?        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:45 pm 

Any BasiliskII VM with MacOS7.5.1 on it and a copy of Toast can handle the old MacCD format very well. You need the old Lauri Pesonen WinNT version, because is the only one that handles SCSI ASPI correctly, which is used to connect the VM with the CD/DVD burner. For a good ASPI layer that doesn't require kernelmode drivers, and works with BasiliskII under NT6+ and 64Bit, use FrogASPI.

Never ever try to rename these *.toast files to ISO to burn them, or using an non HFS aware program to burn those files. The programs will f*ck the Apple Driver Partition and the Drive Map, making the HFS volume inside them unbootable. Also, Disk Utility will not work because it tries to update the driver partition with a version of the boot driver that only works with OSX, and Yosemite Disk Utility can't handle the partition in any way.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to properly burn a OS 9 disc?        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:28 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I was able to successfully burn a universal Mac OS 9.2.1 ISO acquired from Macintosh Garden by burning it using the Disk Utility in Mac OS X 10.4 on the Mac mini to a CD-R disc. I was then able to boot and install OS 9 to the iMac.

Top  Profile