BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 21h, 42m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 5212MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: People who used System 1?        Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:49 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 95 and 98
Is there any people who bought a macintosh with System 1 preinstalled? If not, what is System 1?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: People who used System 1?        Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:21 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Vista Development Series
alcid34 wrote:
If not, what is System 1?

Mac System 1 was the first Mac OS. Ever. It was released about a year before Windows. System 1 was pretty advanced for its time like really advanced.
IMAGE CREDIT: wikipedia.org

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: People who used System 1?        Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:32 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0 SP6
If you would have shown me this, but hadn't told me the version, I could have said this were version 5. It's weird that they didn't really change the design all that much throughout the versions.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: People who used System 1?        Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:27 am 

Favourite OS
Manjaro
Yeah. Then later versions they added some more color but nothing major. It wasn't until Mac OS X (10th gen) that they brought a big interface change.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: People who used System 1?        Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:11 am 

Favourite OS
Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
This was one of the original Mac System Software's biggest strengths, in my opinion.

The fact that its interface didn't really change for nearly seventeen years is incredible. Nowadays, we're lucky if it stays the same for more than two! However, to be fair, Mac OS X has also remained relatively consistent, though there were definitely some notable UI "tweaks" over the years.

This lack of change made it easier for people to learn each new version, because it mostly worked and looked the same as the last, yet was more capable (think System 6 to System 7, and System 7 to Mac OS 8 and 9). The Windows UI was more or less unchanging like this until Windows 8 came along in 2012 (that's also about seventeen years).

Anyway, my point is that when an interface is proven, fundamental changes (such as those brought on by Windows 8) are largely unnecessary, and maintaining UI continuity from version to version really helps level out that learning curve.

Anyway, back on topic :)

I've used Mac System 1.1g (not quite 1.0, but about as close as I can easily get), both in emulators, and on real hardware (including the 128k I just recently bought). As I was sort of alluding to above, it is incredible how anyone can pretty much pick up System 1.0 and use it right away, because all the interface elements are essentially unchanged after 30 years (and it's very simple to begin with).

c

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: People who used System 1?        Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:44 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Whistler
System 1 - 7 all looked and acted the same for the most part. Nothing special. Tried them all :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: People who used System 1?        Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS/2 Aurora
My very first hands on experience with a computer was with an original Mac 128K my aunt brough home from work. Wasted hours playing Airborne and Fallout, and piddling around with the Guided Tour (the disk of which used a prerelease of the OS).

The original Mac 128K and 512K (aka the "Fat Mac") would have been the only systems to ship with "System 1". Neither of those machines shipped with or even supported hard drives as an option (Apple later came out with an external HD that ran off the floppy port, and the very first HD option was the General Hyperdrive, which was retrofitted inside the case), everything was run from floppies, so nothing came "preinstalled" per se.

Pretty much every software package at the time shipped with it's own complete copy of the OS (System Folder) on the floppy disk. On systems with dual floppy drives, if you booted from one disk and launched an app from another, you would find the OS had switched out from under you when you quit the app and returned to the finder, as the active system folder would now be on the other disk. This caused all sorts of fun when the two floppies had different releases of the OS installed.

If you want to experience Mac OS 1.x without real hardware, the best way is to grab the mini-vmac source and build a 128K machine.

Last edited by Warp45 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: People who used System 1?        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:17 am 

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn Beta 1
Ah, the days when Floppies were the main HDD of the Macintosh. I personally liked the idea though to certain extent......

Top  Profile