BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 3h, 29m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 5724MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:30 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
Just thinking how Apple have been working of late.

With Quicktime, they jumped from 7 to X.

With FCP, they're about to jump from 7 (or 6.5 depending on who you speak to) to X.

Will they go from 10.7 to 11.0 (11.1??)?

Why the hate for eight?

I wonder what the Chinese think, given eight is a highly respectable number in their culture. Must be quite peeved waiting for all this time and suddenly it gets leapfrogged!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:52 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn
Hello brad,

May be Apple just skips "8", like the rest of software designers who use to skip "13" when versioning their products.

Regards;

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:42 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7955
Apple is famous for its sweat shops in the 3rd world. Now thanks for making the idea that apple hates asians clearer in my mind.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS/2 Warp 4 (14.098b_W4)
No, they'll go from Mac OS X 10.7 to Mac OS XX just like Quicktime.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:09 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
10.7.3 Lion
I disagree entirely, being a user of OS X and Windows equally (on my MacBook Pro of course). I think that 10.8 will see us. Keep in mind that Jobs said in 2001 that "Mac OS X has set us up for the next 20 years." Generally Apple holds tight to what they say, therefore I think that OS X will be around for a while. I think that the reason they are putting "X" in the products is to match the OS "X" to create a more unified experience. (Unibody Macs, Unified OS, Unified Software). Wasn't it Lennon that said "... and the world will be as ONE."

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1)
Well there is a speculation they will be ditching OSX in favour of iOS. However, I can't really see them getting rid of a full fledged operating system for something so basic. It wouldn't fly. Although that said, I have seen quite a few people use a keyboard with their iPad's.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:42 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NeXTSTEP 5.1/Windows NT
C4Reaper wrote:
Apple is famous for its sweat shops in the 3rd world. Now thanks for making the idea that apple hates asians clearer in my mind.

Apple do not 'hate' asians, nor do they work as sweatshops. Yes they build most of their stuff in China but that doesn't necessarily mean they dislike Asians. As for the apparent 'dislike' of 8, Mac OS 8 anyone?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:47 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 6.5.22
soulman wrote:
C4Reaper wrote:
Apple do not 'hate' asians, nor do they work as sweatshops.

Foxconn; suicide, etc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:57 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Any Mac OS/Any Free OS
milatchi wrote:
soulman wrote:
C4Reaper wrote:
Apple do not 'hate' asians, nor do they work as sweatshops.

Foxconn; suicide, etc.

That would be Foxconn, not Apple…
If you recall, Apple is one of the only companies auditing their Manufacturing partners…

Pointless. Locked. -linuxlove

Pointless. -James

"If only Windows 8 was as revolutionary as Vista."-hounsell

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:17 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 6.05.3718.0
OP could be right

they are out of cat names
and if Lion is current - also being King of Jungle
.7 could be last

but then again who cares -_-
if product is good go for it

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:48 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
Next we move onto... DOGS!

11.1 Saint Bernard.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:04 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP2
I think Apple will still develop Mac OS X in the future. Yes, iPhone, iPad and iPod contribute a large part of Apple's revenue, but Macs help Apple gain a lot, too. Mac's sale is still very robust. However, the focus of Mac OS X will be shifted. iPad and other devices are for "consumer features" like photo management and media sharing. Macs are for "heavy work" like writing apps for the iOS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:00 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.6.7
Here's an interesting take on the future os Mac OS, a cross-platform combination of all Apple operating systems.
http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/say ... o-mios-456

Not sure if I want mac to be more like iOS, I'm ok the way it is. Still, if it makes it boot up faster, I'm all for it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2
bradphipps wrote:
Next we move onto... DOGS!

11.1 Saint Bernard.

Maybe then 11.7 would be Mac OS 11 German Shepard or Shepard

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:27 am 

Quote:
As for the apparent 'dislike' of 8, Mac OS 8 anyone?

Good point. :D

Originally, Apple intended to ship Copland as Mac OS 8.

What the world knows as Mac OS 8 originally was to have been released as Mac OS 7.7. Steve Jobs bumped up the version number to terminate Apple's licensing agreements with Power Computing and other clone vendors.

(Apparently, they only applied to Mac OS 7.x versions.)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:12 am 
FTP Access

Barabba wrote:
OP could be right

They still haven't used lynx or cougar.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:22 am 
FTP Access

voyager8907 wrote:

For it to be cougar wouldn't it need to be abandon ware? Really old chasing brand new? :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:46 am 

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
Hmm, my opinion on this is that Mac os X will be around until 10.9. What it will be called? I don't know.

Also, if you dig deep enoug in the romor sites, and Apple patents, you can arrive at the conclusion that Apple is alreadion working on OS 11 and 12.
I myself currently am running the Lion Developer GoldMastere. and it's stability has improved slightly since DP4.

But over all, I think there's still a lot life left for Mac OS X (=10). Besides, Apple would never go with an altogether different,
new operation system out of the blue, like the progression from OS 8 and 9 in to 10 (OS X) was.

Last edited by DaveFlash on Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:42 am 
FTP Access

tiddlie wrote:
voyager8907 wrote:

For it to be cougar wouldn't it need to be abandon ware? Really old chasing brand new? :P

Pun intended? ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
voyager8907 wrote:
Barabba wrote:
OP could be right

Apple did trademark Lynx and Cougar for use, but they have since lapsed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:39 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I do not think that Mac OS X 10.7 will be the last version of Mac OS X, mainly because that if they discontinue Mac OS X they will lose lots of customers. Also it will take longer because the new Mac OS 11 will be a major release. I think that they will not discontinue Mac OS X until 10.9 which is AGES and LIGHT YEARS away from us :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:04 am 
FTP Access

bradphipps wrote:
voyager8907 wrote:
Barabba wrote:
OP could be right

Apple did trademark Lynx and Cougar for use, but they have since lapsed.

But they can still use them right?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:15 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4033
I'll bet they're working on Mac OS 11 right now. That is going to be epic. If the leap between OS9 and OSX is the same size as the leap from OSX to OS11, we're in for some cool stuff. (that sounded way better in my head)

CPCookieMan

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:41 am 
FTP Access

CPCookieMan wrote:
I'll bet they're working on Mac OS 11 right now. That is going to be epic. If the leap between OS9 and OSX is the same size as the leap from OSX to OS11, we're in for some cool stuff. (that sounded way better in my head)

CPCookieMan

I'd doubt it because they still have 10.8 and 10.9 to worry about.
It would be to risky to pull of a stunt where two OS versions are left out at this time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 10.7 be the last OS for Mac OS X?        Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:41 am 
Donator

Take a backward step, then a forward step

Favourite OS
LH 4015, Chicago 73g, XP 2416
voyager8907 wrote:
Barabba wrote:
OP could be right

Don't forget bobcat. Its not necessarily a big cat, but it is a cat. So they can go up to 10.10 with cat names. As for dog names... theres wolf, coyote, fox, jackal, dingo, culpeo, so if they use all these names, they're set all the way up to Mac OS 11.5.

compgeke wrote:
No, they'll go from Mac OS X 10.7 to Mac OS XX just like Quicktime.

How about Mac OS XI, or just straight Mac OS 11?

Top  Profile  WWW