BetaArchive Logo
Archive Size: 8.66TB (7.88TiB) in 24500 files
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 2d, 18h, 36m | CPU: 23% | MEM: 4075MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: Is Mac OS a linux?        Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:51 am 
z180 wrote:
OS X is not based on UNIX.

Mac OS X is unix based. When you install it, (up to 10.3 panther I believe, the other installers don't mention it) it says during the installation "UNIX Based"

aside from that, it is on apple's webpage

PostPost subject: Re: Is Mac OS a linux?        Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:57 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Arch Linux
http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/ancient/w ... /arch.html
It's a little bit old article, but in fact it's kinda the same thing..

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Mac OS a linux?        Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:11 pm 

Well...

To my understanding Apple took the original Unix code, and made an completely independent OS.
You can install the X11 interface and compile Linux based applications on it. So in a sense OS X is Linux, and still it is not. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Mac OS a linux?        Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:49 am 

Favourite OS
Ubuntu 11.04
Mac OS X is based on a Unix Kernel

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Mac OS a linux?        Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:16 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 Pre-M3 Build
While Mac OS X is indeed a distant and mixed variant of several BSDs (well mainly OpenBSD, but still), everything above kernel level is completely different from most Unix or Unix-based system. I'm suprised Mac OS X is UNIX certified while Linux isn't.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Mac OS a linux?        Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:57 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Linux is the kernel in a GNU/Linux operating system. This is casually referred to as Linux.
Darwin is modified kernel taking code from NEXTSTEP, BSD, and UNIX.

As silly as it is, this old copypasta describes it well:
"I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux."

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is Mac OS a linux?        Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:42 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I belive all OS's are built off of Linux just added their own UI overhaul. Linux isent only a specific OS its also code itself...

Top  Profile