BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 10d, 5h, 26m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 6554MB of 12279MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Concerning "leaks"        Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:00 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
Due to the current influx of leaks going on around BA, I feel it is suitable that we (at least temporarily) enforce a new rule concerning leaks. It is as follows:

Quote:
Any user who creates a thread concerning a "leak" without indomitable proof that the leak is legitimate will be warned and have their thread locked.

I have discussed this with Andy and he also feels it is appropriate. It should for the most part prevent ridiculous fakes and flamewars concerning fake leaks.

This rule is open for discussion, but keep it friendly. If you've any issues then feel free to PM me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Concerning "leaks"        Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:09 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I don't see any good that could come out from anyone claiming the "leak."
Seems it would just lead to Microsoft looking at them a bit faster.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Concerning "leaks"        Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:04 am 
Donator

I agree. The last thing we want is for it to develop into a slagging and flaming match, such as can be witnessed here on MDL: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... l-versions)-Next-Leak-Discussions

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Concerning "leaks"        Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:14 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Developer Preview - 8102
Thank-you! So annoyed about a post everyother day about one of the people who have the builds claiming they'll leak it just to get publicity when they won't. It gets a lot of people annoyed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Concerning "leaks"        Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:25 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Vista SP2
I completely agree, this definitely should be made a rule or we we'll just have more spam posts about fake leaks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Concerning "leaks"        Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:03 pm 
FTP Access

I wouldn't mind if this became a rule so long as not following it isn't going to result with a smack of the (permanent) ban hammer.
To me it seems a bit much to ban someone for claiming something is going to happen without any real evidence (a recent date came to mind as I wrote this LOL). Maybe a warning and topic lock would be appropriate?

I appreciate this being open for discussion and not forced upon us like the "no fake screenshots" rule that closed (and deleted?) the old BA windows concept thread.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Concerning "leaks"        Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:49 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
lucas93 wrote:
Maybe a warning and topic lock would be appropriate?

Alpha-Critik wrote:
...will be warned and have their thread locked.

8-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Concerning "leaks"        Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 X64
I think those with low post counts or little proof should be able to post their links, but have a tag as untested or not confirmed until a moderator or such has confirmed the leak as valid.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Concerning "leaks"        Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:14 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
W7x64, OSX
Skowt wrote:
I think those with low post counts or little proof should be able to post their links, but have a tag as untested or not confirmed until a moderator or such has confirmed the leak as valid.

Having the rule in place prevents potential fakes being posted in the first place, which will aid in the prevention of stupid and useless posts on the forum.

UPDATE: The potential rule is now under review by Andy and mrpijey. Whether or not it is finalised is entirely at their discretion.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Concerning "leaks"        Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:13 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
5048 and 7850
Thank YOu! That's a much needed rule.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Concerning "leaks"        Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:35 pm 

Agree getting kind of sick of seeing all these fake leak posts myself, be patient like the rest of us and wait because it will come in its own time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Concerning "leaks"        Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:42 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98
Yeah, alot needed these Days.

I have suggestion: Why not creating "Unconfirmed Leaks" topic for all new people who have leak but not sure about if it's fake or not to post it there?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Concerning "leaks"        Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:54 pm 
Donator

Ahmed Jebara wrote:
Yeah, alot needed these Days.

I have suggestion: Why not creating "Unconfirmed Leaks" topic for all new people who have leak but not sure about if it's fake or not to post it there?

I like this idea. Disable thread creation in the New BETA/RTM section and start the "unconfirmed" thread. Mods can split legit releases into new threads. Then hopefully only legit news will be posted there.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Concerning "leaks"        Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:22 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Also, I think you should ban the who post unconfirmed rumours in windows 8 threads, if people have no proof of a date; why should they assume/start off trash? It just causes the thread to go off topic.

It's like, Member A: It's going to be leaked on this day.

Member B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I: *Spreads*

Day comes

Member,A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z,0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9+ : Hey, where's the leak?

*Wars start*

Moderator:

*Dishes out warnings and closes topic*

Next member decides to do the same LOL, it's an insane loop.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Concerning "leaks"        Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Leaks are rarely organised, you can assume that anyone announcing 'x' will be leaked on 'y' is probably lying.

Not since we had Release-a-Fortnight have we had a planned leak on BA to my knowledge. Someone simply makes the decision to leak, it gets uploaded to BA, sometimes through a private upload account, and as soon as the upload is verified as genuine, it gets released.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Concerning "leaks"        Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE
I Totally agree with this rule. It Simply makes every post more safe to users and For this forum in a more abrangent view. And it gives you more safety to dont get dismayed when downloading something big and seeming that there was nothing that you really wanted on it.

Top  Profile